Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla should cover that. It doesn't look like an impact and Tesla shouldn't really question past that. You might want to ask them after it's replaced if you can tint it and see what they say. There has been at least one report of someone getting their tinted glass replaced by Tesla but being told that if they tinted it again and it cracked again then Tesla would NOT replace it...
Tesla should cover that. It doesn't look like an impact and Tesla shouldn't really question past that. You might want to ask them after it's replaced if you can tint it and see what they say. There has been at least one report of someone getting their tinted glass replaced by Tesla but being told that if they tinted it again and it cracked again then Tesla would NOT replace it...
thank you so much for your reply, I will find out if Tesla will replace it free of charge, got into my car again this evening and there’s a new crack, this time it’s on my windshield....not going to lie....I am freaked out!

Tint doesn't break glass.
And if you're worried that tint will cause the glass to hold too much heat, applying a reflective surface an inch from the underside of it will be just as bad.

Said Bake Not Break, but feel free to ask a reputable Tint installer or Tesla about Break.
Second Tesla m3 sunscreen from Tesla is not reflective but a perforated mesh.

Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshade

32BECD76-35DE-4E8D-95D8-B2B421199EBE.jpeg

Thank you for sharing that info. I am glad to see that at least they do an assessment to see if the crack is because of impact or because of a defect. But I agree, so many people talking about cracked glass. Frankly I am not surprised, because -as much as I love Tesla- when it comes to the quality of craftsmanship, it really is lagging way behind others in its class (BMW, Mercedes, etc.). You can visibility see so many faults and misalignment almost anywhere you look. I wonder if such misalignment can cause more stress on a glass pane than it would if it had been fitted properly.

There has to be a problem with the rear glass. Also considering it seems to all start in the rear close to the middle areas.
Tint doesn't break glass.
And if you're worried that tint will cause the glass to hold too much heat, applying a reflective surface an inch from the underside of it will be just as bad.

A lot of people insinuate that tint is what caused the cracks in their rear glass. I of course don't agree with that assessment.

Hi Guys,

I just want to update you and answer some of the questions posted (sorry for the late response as I have had a hectic travel schedule).

1) Regarding calling Tesla, going thru the voice options without being able to talk to an actual human is really annoying, so I tried twice and quit after spending a decent amount of time.

2) Regarding them sending someone to check the crack, they did not suggest that. In fact they gave me an appointment about a month ahead to take the car to them so they can take a look. When I argued and insisted that I need to go there ASAP because I do not want to waste month for someone just to take a look, then wait another couple of months for the parts to arrive, they accepted that I take the car there the next day to get someone to look at it.

3) I went there the second day, a guy came out to check it, then called an "expert" to give his assessment. The "expert" used a sharp screw driver to dig in the crack and determined this is an impact crack, and as such Tesla would not replace it under warranty!!!

4) I debated with the manager there that I am not going to accept that since there is absolutely no sign of impact -aside from the scratches that the "expert" caused with his screwdriver. I said I would like a third party opinion. The manager was reasonable and suggested a glass repair shop they work with.

5) I immediately took it there, and two real glass experts saw it and determined it was NOT an impact crack but a stress crack. They also said they never use screw drivers to assess glass cracks!!

6) Tesla accepted the verdict and ordered the replacement glass, and I am now waiting for them to call me when they arrive. It will take about 8 weeks.

Quite frankly, and this is coming from an educated Tesla fan and supporter, I was disappointed that I had to go through that experience to prove that the crack was not impact related. This obviously is an issue with Teslas, and Tesla need to take responsibility for that without much hassle. It is enough we accept the misaligned doors, and rubber fitted wrongly all over the car, and the general poor craftsman ship. But to have to go through that experience for a major issue in their glass quality or improper fitting is really too much.

My windshield has more that 5mm of rubber coming out on one side and not the other. I hope that misfitting does not cause more stress and hence a future stress crack.

Model 3’s upper body has so much flex that going over the usual bumps and speed breakers will cause the glass to crack eventually.
There are plenty of videos on YouTube, and glass repair experts that have examined glass breakage in model 3s, and all of them, independently have come to this same conclusion .. the glass breaks without impact, due to flex.

That said, if Tesla doesn’t take ownership of this problem, which they don’t, you are out some serious cash.

Reactions: Skavatar
Hi Guys,

I just want to update you and answer some of the questions posted (sorry for the late response as I have had a hectic travel schedule).

1) Regarding calling Tesla, going thru the voice options without being able to talk to an actual human is really annoying, so I tried twice and quit after spending a decent amount of time.

2) Regarding them sending someone to check the crack, they did not suggest that. In fact they gave me an appointment about a month ahead to take the car to them so they can take a look. When I argued and insisted that I need to go there ASAP because I do not want to waste month for someone just to take a look, then wait another couple of months for the parts to arrive, they accepted that I take the car there the next day to get someone to look at it.

3) I went there the second day, a guy came out to check it, then called an "expert" to give his assessment. The "expert" used a sharp screw driver to dig in the crack and determined this is an impact crack, and as such Tesla would not replace it under warranty!!!

4) I debated with the manager there that I am not going to accept that since there is absolutely no sign of impact -aside from the scratches that the "expert" caused with his screwdriver. I said I would like a third party opinion. The manager was reasonable and suggested a glass repair shop they work with.

5) I immediately took it there, and two real glass experts saw it and determined it was NOT an impact crack but a stress crack. They also said they never use screw drivers to assess glass cracks!!

6) Tesla accepted the verdict and ordered the replacement glass, and I am now waiting for them to call me when they arrive. It will take about 8 weeks.

Quite frankly, and this is coming from an educated Tesla fan and supporter, I was disappointed that I had to go through that experience to prove that the crack was not impact related. This obviously is an issue with Teslas, and Tesla need to take responsibility for that without much hassle. It is enough we accept the misaligned doors, and rubber fitted wrongly all over the car, and the general poor craftsman ship. But to have to go through that experience for a major issue in their glass quality or improper fitting is really too much.

My windshield has more that 5mm of rubber coming out on one side and not the other. I hope that misfitting does not cause more stress and hence a future stress crack.

I have to agree 100%
I don’t understand how they only have 1 service center in BC and it’s a tiny one. I hear and experience their push back on things they should take responsibility from.

Yikes is this from heat? I'm waiting on my delivery and I park my car in the hot sun at each of the clinics I work at. And I live on Maui so.... :/

Would it be bad to put a sunshade under the rear window, roof window, and one of those reflective ones under my front windshield? I've already put the order in for them :(

The glass roof was a contributing reason (out of many) as to why I ruled out the 3 completely. I've posted it about it many times and griped about it again at Cost of Model 3 roof glass replacement.

If someone else like [FAKE] Ride-share company purchases Times-Square Billboard Complaining about 1.5yr Repair Times next time makes statements like "Warranty repairs on the glass roof is probably 105 on a list of top 100 things Model 3 owners fret about", perhaps some folks like the OP can chime in w/their stories. There sure are plenty of them here.

This is besides at least 2 folks at my work that I knew of many months ago w/cracked glass roofs on their 3's. One had impact damage (so no warranty coverage). Sounded like the other didn't.

I’ve had stress cracks in the rear glass twice, both in the same place, both replaced under warranty. The first was around a month into ownership, before tinting. The second was very recent, around a year in. It cost me the rear tint, which I probably will not reapply. These photos are from the second time. Look at the 11th defroster line from the center, both sides.

I am afraid that there is something wonky about my frame that will cause further recurrence.

Attachments

• B8229688-F2D9-498E-8F57-B902A1712745.jpeg
    B8229688-F2D9-498E-8F57-B902A1712745.jpeg
    207.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 5A266FD7-7A93-45AB-AB0F-CB7CEC46943A.jpeg
    5A266FD7-7A93-45AB-AB0F-CB7CEC46943A.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 034761E7-6F4D-4279-9FB4-80238E1ED938.jpeg
    034761E7-6F4D-4279-9FB4-80238E1ED938.jpeg
    320.1 KB · Views: 104
Taking upper glass in for cracks. No known impact but seems to have started in the center of the front edge. We'll see what they say.

What they said: warranty repair.
[rant] BUT the company they had successfully been contracting who would send a tech to the Service Center was just bought by another company and since then scheduling the right tech has not been unsuccessful. A tech arrived hours after my scheduled appointment time but was not skilled/trained/able and another tech who could have performed the repair was unreachable. I drove 5 hours for this appointment and could not leave the car. Tesla offered a loaner Model S75 but without winter tires so not really a safe solution. Also I did not have another day to drive there and back for almost two weeks. Tesla's solution: I left with the glass part in the back of my car in the hopes that I could find a local installer. T will reimburse me for the install and warranty the repair, although fine print might not technically let the latter happen). [/rant]

Rant followup: after driving around for nearly a month with a new glass roof in the back of the car a local experienced glass tech performed the install. It was his first Tesla. He reviewed the Tesla provided instructions before accepting the job and reflected afterwards that it was even easier than he had expected. Filed paid invoice for warranty reimbursement with Tesla today--that will probably take even longer.

Good to know there is a capable glass installer locally who will work on Teslas. For the record: Dirigo Glass Inc., Belfast, ME.

• Informative
Reactions: alloverx