TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

glass roof marked up...can't remove spots?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by P3D_Denver, Aug 31, 2018.

1. P3D_Denver

P3D_Denver Member

clay bar didn't help my glass. on further inspection, it really looks like the IR coating in between the glass is breaking up or wasn't applied correctly. see these pics from inside the cabin.

IMG_0492.jpeg IMG_0493.jpeg IMG_0495.jpeg IMG_0496.jpeg

2. C141medic

C141medic Active Member

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Try 0000 steel wool.

• Like x 1
  4. P3D_Denver

P3D_Denver Member

um ya, i don’t think so.

5. Fusion

Fusion Member

You could try a White Scotch scouring pad. Tinters use it all the time do a heavy cleaning before tinting. Also a flat razor can be used to scrape off hard debris.

6. super20g

super20g Member

What is the VIN range on this one? Is it one of the ones that turns orange when wet or not?

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

It works, I used it on mine to remove some hard water spots on my windshield and glass roof. Just make sure it’s 0000 steel wool. Detailers use it all the time.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. P3D_Denver

P3D_Denver Member

#28 P3D_Denver, Sep 5, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    i don't think its water spots, the professional detailer said its etched, i personally think its IR coating. It is only on 1 section of the glass roof, i am going to have Tesla look at this Friday and hopefully replace it.

i appreciate you trying to help, i will let you know how this plays out.

9. BubblegumPete

BubblegumPete Member

I know this is an old thread but I've got very similar marks on the roof of my car that I noticed after cleaning. No matter how hard I tried to clean them off with the sponge or cloth they wouldn't budge. I then tried my finger nail and after about 30 secs of scrubbing the mark started to go.
    So although I'm sure the OP was right in that it was a defect. If you do see something similar on your roof then try removing one with some hard scrubbing. I think I'm now going to use the fine steel wool to see if that will work for the rest of the stains.

10. solodogg

solodogg Member

0000 steel wool and a vinegar based glass cleaner will get those spots off. Follow up with a glass sealant to keep them from returning.

This fine if a steel wool will not scratch glass as long as you’re not rubbing on a dry window. Keep the surface wet with glass cleaner and scrub away, those spots will disappear quickly.

• Like x 1
  11. BubblegumPete

BubblegumPete Member

Thanks Solodogg I'll follow that advice.

12. mspohr

mspohr Well-Known Member

I'd be wary of even fine steel wool. I'd try a clay bar first. It does wonders in removing spots from the paint.

13. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

One of the tricks for removing mineral hard spots are dryer sheets rather than rags, newspaper, etc. Works great on shower doors, too. Also, vinegar solution for cleaner.

• Informative x 2