Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof or Sunroof... question..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember that all glass roof also removes option for satellite radio (in addition to no possible roof racks). The provided Slacker streaming account makes up for loss of sat radio (unless you're a Stern fan). Roof tint was darker than I would liked. I would have liked the option to open roof so I would order pano next time.

I got the glass roof because in my 10 years of having cars with sunroofs i think i've opened them maybe 12-20 times in total and usually only when someone else is in the car to impress them. I suspect with a glass roof there will be an equal amount of awe with less aerodynamic drag haha

If you live where it's warm, opening the sunroof to 15% really helps keep the car cool. If it's cold where you live, then the other items (roof rack, radio options, etc.) will determine whether you should get it or not.

I got the glass roof because in my 10 years of having cars with sunroofs i think i've opened them maybe 12-20 times in total and usually only when someone else is in the car to impress them. I suspect with a glass roof there will be an equal amount of awe with less aerodynamic drag haha
I placed my order this week with the glass roof with exactly the same logic. I've had sunroofs for more like 20 years and probably average 2-3x a year actually opening them. Just never really occurs to me. Have you taken delivery yet? Any regrets? My only fear is that, even knowing I never actually did open the roof very much, as soon as I can't, I'll want to all the time.

I placed my order this week with the glass roof with exactly the same logic. I've had sunroofs for more like 20 years and probably average 2-3x a year actually opening them. Just never really occurs to me. Have you taken delivery yet? Any regrets? My only fear is that, even knowing I never actually did open the roof very much, as soon as I can't, I'll want to all the time.

i'm in line for an april delivery so i'll be sure to take pictures and let you know. But no i have no regrets, i guess we're so used to buying cars with sunroofs that the idea of not being able to open the roof is scary, but like you and i said, how often do we actually open it. I think the glass roof will be a category in its own.

Reactions: FabioFognini
I took delivery on March 3 of my glass roof. Love it. Obviously eliminates the option for XM, but I wasn't willing to pay $2500 for the UHFS just for XM anyway. Slacker and Tune-in along with putting my entire itunes library on a thumb drive work really well.
Realize I can't have XM or a roof rack without the sunroof, but I've never put a roof rack on my car anyway.

The glass roof is really the best looking of the three roof options (of course that's just my subjective opinion) and it makes the interior of the S look that much better since you don't have the cross beam that the sunroof has.

No regrets on the choice and would make the same decision today.

As beautiful as the all glass is to look at, I'd never trade off the pano. My S pano is open almost daily and the most disappointing feature on my X (despite its gorgeous unobstructed view) is the inability to open it up and let the fresh air/sunshine in. I've renamed it The Big Tease.

I debated a bunch on the roof. Wife was very worried about the glass roof/panoramic roof and sun. Before I ordered I went and sat in each roof type and gave it a lot of thought. For me it came down to additional headroom. I went with the all glass roof as I seldom opened my sunroof on my 4Runner, but I can respect the option. I was also looking to eliminate potential problems down the road since I will likely keep this car for quite a while (Hence why I went standard coil suspension as well as all glass roof). The other thing that sold me on it was the much reduced side intrusion to your head when you're sitting in the car. The panoramic roof headline intrusion is twice as wide as the all glass roof. The mid cross-bar didn't bother me that much but it is impressive to look up at all that space without it, the kids love it. As a driver you won't really notice it much unless you drive laying wayyyyy back.

Reactions: TurboBear
Just took delivery of our MS 60D with the all glass roof. It's stunning! So far everyone that has seen the car falls in love with it. Makes the cabin more 'roomy,' anesthetic and is a very unique option (due to its size). Congrats!

Just took delivery of our MS 60D with the all glass roof. It's stunning! So far everyone that has seen the car falls in love with it. Makes the cabin more 'roomy,' anesthetic and is a very unique option (due to its size). Congrats!

Now that's a feature I need to experience for myself!

Hopefully, for the sake of safety... That is only available if you choose the Full Self-Driving option. :)

The all glass roof was the option that pushed me to finally let go of my Sig MS P85 with pano roof. I wasn't an avid pano roof opener, and I was always a bit put off by the big ugly plastic housing that effectively blocked half of the roof of the MS. The all glass is so much more spacious feeling. The pano roof had a lot of issues at first. It remains to be seen how the all-glass roof holds up.

Hey Everyone!

So I took delivery of the car on Wednesday! I do not regret getting the all-glass roof one bit. Yes, it is tinted a little bit darker than the panoramic sunroof I test drove and it does extend a bit further too. As a driver i don't notice it as much, however, I was the North Houston super charger today (while I await my NEMA-14/50 charger to be installed at home) and laying down inside my car looking at the sun and clouds without hurting my eyes was pretty cool. I kind of envy back seat passengers.

Hey Everyone!

So I took delivery of the car on Wednesday! I do not regret getting the all-glass roof one bit. Yes, it is tinted a little bit darker than the panoramic sunroof I test drove and it does extend a bit further too. As a driver i don't notice it as much, however, I was the North Houston super charger today (while I await my NEMA-14/50 charger to be installed at home) and laying down inside my car looking at the sun and clouds without hurting my eyes was pretty cool. I kind of envy back seat passengers.

Same situation here; just picked up my 60D with the glass roof and have no complaints. I never get to look up as the driver, but my passengers in the back all say it's amazing. No complaints about heat/exposure even on a sunny NC day like today. I did notice that the glass seems to retain a lot of heat after sitting parked in the sun, so your head is a little toasty until you get moving and the airflow cools down the glass itself.

Prior to today (when the body color roof was standard), there was a $500 difference between the glass room and the sunroof. With today's configurator changes (glass roof now standard), the price difference between all glass and sunroof is now $2,000. Curious whether this changes anyone's analysis. For those who prefer sunroof, would you pay $2,000 more?