Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof panel “lip” defect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

azred

Apr 12, 2016
Chandler, AZ
Unlike my massive S glass roof, the glass roof on the 3 is relatively small since the rear window extends above the rear passenger seats. On my 3, the glass roof panel was installed such that on the driver’s side it sits about 1/8 of an inch or so above the windshield. I believe some S owners experienced the same defect and it led to noise problems. Short of breaking the roof glass panel and then replacing it, is this repairable? I will of course ask Tesla to fix it but anticipate they will be extremely unwillingly to do so. Therefore, I was hoping some of you have experience with this issue and can suggest what is reasonable in terms of a fix.

No way to fix other than reinstalling a new panel. Unless it is really sticking up, I think I would just try to live with it as most likely a big hassle to try and fix and no guarantee the new one will be better.

No way to fix other than reinstalling a new panel. Unless it is really sticking up, I think I would just try to live with it as most likely a big hassle to try and fix and no guarantee the new one will be better.

Yeah, it may be a pain to get it fixed but it's better than paying $50 - $60 grand for a car that's not right the day you drive it off the lot. That's the kind of thing you just can't un-see once you know it's there.

Definitely have them fix it. It's the acceptance crowd that allows poor assembly to pass. Why fix it if the customers don't care. When you have more examples of this issue surface, the factory can then find a fix for future cars.
New panel being installed tomorrow. As for the comment above that maybe it might be better to leave it since removal/replacement could be messy, would you worry about that if your windshield was damaged? I have seen at least half a dozen 3s after shipping and none had the issue.

New panel being installed tomorrow. As for the comment above that maybe it might be better to leave it since removal/replacement could be messy, would you worry about that if your windshield was damaged? I have seen at least half a dozen 3s after shipping and none had the issue.

Are they actually installing a new glass piece or removing it and shimming things to align? On our MX there were different glass pieces at varying heights and all were taken care of with original glass and shims, and all looked perfect afterwards.