Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to have been some type of production change with the rear part of the roof. Originally, due to some dichroic reflector effect, the roof gave off an orange color when wet. However, it seems that cars produced after mid July do not have that effect anymore. I'm not sure of the implications of that. Its speculated that the the glass might be missing some IR blocking.

In the pictures below, you can see the change. The red car is a performance model built in July.

Rear Window IR Blocking Coverage 100% --> 66% --> 0% on newest builds.

There seems to have been some type of production change with the rear part of the roof. Originally, due to some dichroic reflector effect, the roof gave off an orange color when wet. However, it seems that cars produced after mid July do not have that effect anymore. I'm not sure of the implications of that. Its speculated that the the glass might be missing some IR blocking.

In the pictures below, you can see the change. The red car is a performance model built in July.

Rear Window IR Blocking Coverage 100% --> 66% --> 0% on newest builds.
Are we SURE this isn't an artifact of the photograph/photographer and the angle/light that it's being taken? (Yes, I realize the "top" portion of the glass still shows that reddish glow...)

Are we SURE this isn't an artifact of the photograph/photographer and the angle/light that it's being taken?
It’s not an “artifact”. I see that red color every time the roof of my X is wet and the sun is shining on it. It’s the nature of the glass. And my X roof blocks IR just fine.

I have no information regarding whether or not Tesla has changed the Model 3 roof glass since production started last year. But I suspect not.

587D1A17-B485-4152-B12D-BAE2FC19F845.jpeg
Took delivery March 18’ ... my roof has this effect full on! Super cool

Even more reason to put a full piece of tint on the back glass on my 3.

Would be great to understand the why behind it and if it’s anything beyond cost.

I’d venture to guess this is another area that was questioned “why are we doing this and do we need to do this” that Elon talks about.

oh very interesting. I never knew that originally there was a 100% coverage version. I wonder if that meant the original tinted part also went all the way back. If so, then the 66% coverage design would be intentional to allow more light visibility thru the back.

I now wonder then if they tested the removal of the IR blocking material in the rear glass panel and found that the amount of heat allowed in was negligible. The tint itself might be good enough.

I've also noticed that the side windows block a lot of heat. Especially apparent during morning commute when sun is low on the horizon. With the windows down, I can feel a lot of heat on my face and arms. With window up, I feel hardly anything.