Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that the back glass does not have the orange glow in my 08/18 build. Vin 572XX

Attachments

• 61635B41-2998-4F65-BA00-1C642C70AB80.jpeg
    61635B41-2998-4F65-BA00-1C642C70AB80.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 474
  • Informative
Reactions: AustinPowers
[Discussion] So are we going to ignore the fact that Tesla has been gradually removing the IR Blocking from the rear window? : teslamotors

My Performance Model 3 seems to not have a UV-coated rear window - photo comparing to my LR 3 which does : teslamotors

both threads have a bunch of theories, one of which is that you still get IR blocking just using another method

It's not a coating, it's in the glass itself and not something you can scratch or wash off. The S and X are have been like this for years, both of my S cars use the "red" dielectric mirror on the rear hatch and a different heat mechanism on the top that doesn't change color in water, Tesla is probably using the same non-colorchange methods they use in the other cars for newer Model 3s.

then this claim was maid later in a newer thread

The are switching up the way the technology is implemented because there was a problem with people getting this entire rear glass tinted and it causing the glass to crack sometimes. It was overheating the glass and not allowing for proper flex.

They re-engineered the process so that they could be tinted without breaking.

It's an improvement - not a step backwards.

I have no idea what the truth is but there are tons of statements in the reddit posts not covered in this thread so I thought I'd link to them and let someone sift through if they like.

Honestly, a little disappointed my car will likely be lacking the cool factor of the orange hue on the back window. But if they found a better way to make that panel, I can deal with it. Question now is, why didn't they do the same to the top glass?

Reactions: Canikony
I have a July build performance with IR the whole way:

Hmmm...

I wonder if they just didn’t have time to apply the coating during the production rush? Or maybe there was a batch that didn’t get it.

I am fine if they improved the tech and is just no longer visable. But until I see it tested I am just going to say they have stopped or forgot to apply it.

I believe Premier Mobile Group located in Bay Area can measure this. I have seen them doing measurements for their tints. It would be interesting if they could compare front and rear glass. Or rear glass on a model with and without the red effect.

View attachment 330031 View attachment 330030 I have a 8/18 build and missing the IR on the rear section of the glass too , sevice center says they will relace it tomorrow? I posted this on another forum
replacing? Wow, that must be acknowledgment from Tesla that the non orange glass is missing the IR. Please keep us posted here...many of us will need this addressed as well.

View attachment 330031 View attachment 330030 I have a 8/18 build and missing the IR on the rear section of the glass too , sevice center says they will relace it tomorrow? I posted this on another forum
Are they replacing it for the sole purpose that you mentioned it didn’t have the UV coating? These windshields likely come from the supplier treated with UV and not likely that they are checked at the factory and likely not noticed at delivery centers when they’re washed.

I would rather not have to get the windshield replaced on my m3 and I hope they just switched to a different uv application. Seems like too widespread an occurrence to simply a missed batch of windshields

Reactions: MXWing and Brian N