Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they replacing it for the sole purpose that you mentioned it didn’t have the UV coating? These windshields likely come from the supplier treated with UV and not likely that they are checked at the factory and likely not noticed at delivery centers when they’re washed.

I would rather not have to get the windshield replaced on my m3 and I hope they just switched to a different uv application. Seems like too widespread an occurrence to simply a missed batch of windshields

I agree, i would rather not risk anymore damage if its an updated version, but i will double check with them tomorrow when i drop off. But when i emailed them the pictures for them to review , they replied they got the part in stock and ready to replace. so they did verify a head of time, and i doubt they would replace if it was the updated version of the rear? But who knows, anything is possible.

July build with early August delivery, AWD. I do not have the cool effect in windshield. Just drove home in the rain from work. Google photo downloads with weird extension and cannot upload pics. Does this matter if plans to tint rear windshield?

I have a 8/18 build and missing the IR on the rear section of the glass too , sevice center says they will relace it tomorrow? I posted this on another forum

replacing? Wow, that must be acknowledgment from Tesla that the non orange glass is missing the IR. Please keep us posted here...many of us will need this addressed as well.

Are they replacing it for the sole purpose that you mentioned it didn’t have the UV coating? These windshields likely come from the supplier treated with UV and not likely that they are checked at the factory and likely not noticed at delivery centers when they’re washed.

I would rather not have to get the windshield replaced on my m3 and I hope they just switched to a different uv application. Seems like too widespread an occurrence to simply a missed batch of windshields

Yes very interested in what they have to say about this. If they have/had a bad batch I hope they fix it soon.

Replacing the rear glass would be a pain.

I agree, i would rather not risk anymore damage if its an updated version, but i will double check with them tomorrow when i drop off. But when i emailed them the pictures for them to review , they replied they got the part in stock and ready to replace. so they did verify a head of time, and i doubt they would replace if it was the updated version of the rear? But who knows, anything is possible.
Can you post a pic once they replace it?

Another +1 for a recent delivery with only the "front" (over driver) glass having the "red" UV coating when it gets wet the rear glass does not. I'm a 54XXX VIN, took delivery mid August, AWD if that matters.

I noted with my delivery agent that there was a small what looked like a scratch in the black "edge" area of the rear glass. Couldn't feel it, it looked like a small hairline scratch in a sub-layer, or however they make this glass, of that edge bit. I'm doing a poor job explaining, but my main point is that my delivery agent saw it, noted it, but suggested to leave it to keep "the factory seal" on the glass. Which I went along with.

So my question to the thread is, how big of a deal is getting the rear glass replaced? Are there any long term concerns? Am I just being paranoid and was too gullible?

• Informative
Reactions: TechSavvyWife
Here is a bigger question. I test drove new Model 3 Performance back to back with a Model X and I definitely felt more heat coming through the glass of the Model 3? I live in AZ and this is a major concern. My S is comfortable in direct sun in 120 degree heat without tint on the roof. Have they really made the glass worse?? I am really trying to push the order button, but these changes are making me hesitate...Does anyone know for sure what they are changing?

Here is a bigger question. I test drove new Model 3 Performance back to back with a Model X and I definitely felt more heat coming through the glass of the Model 3? I live in AZ and this is a major concern. My S is comfortable in direct sun in 120 degree heat without tint on the roof. Have they really made the glass worse?? I am really trying to push the order button, but these changes are making me hesitate...Does anyone know for sure what they are changing?

I would go check out some one else's Model 3 in AZ to confirm but for me the Model 3 tinted feels hotter inside than my untinted Model S.

Tesla told me it's different glass and Model S is more premium.

I just picked up 689XX with 8/18 build date and the back glass isn't coated. I emailed my delivery adviser (with a small list of things, this one included) but crickets for a day now. Should I reach out to service instead? I have tint scheduled for Friday but if they are going to replace the rear glass then I should hold off...

I dont have any expensive thermal testing gear, just the laser dot temp gun, not sure if that will show a difference ? But i will test it during at noon with the sun over head, not scientific at all but its all i got and the ambient temp might be so high that its all the same?

Ill update with what happens at service

July (07/2018) Build - AWD - Took delivery earlier this month (08/2018). Rear glass does not have color change when wet. I asked service about this and the first guy said he no one had asked about that before. Checked with second guy who said "That is normal for a Model 3." :rolleyes: - The first guy then did mention that maybe they changed the process to remove something. Obviously not what I wanted to hear. Please share other experiences with service/changes that are made. Not sure right now if they are going to do anything to mine but it's been noted.

Attachments

• Model 3 - July Build VIN 53XXX.jpg
    Model 3 - July Build VIN 53XXX.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 266
July (07/2018) Build - AWD - Took delivery earlier this month (08/2018). Rear glass does not have color change when wet. I asked service about this and the first guy said he no one had asked about that before. Checked with second guy who said "That is normal for a Model 3." :rolleyes: - The first guy then did mention that maybe they changed the process to remove something. Obviously not what I wanted to hear. Please share other experiences with service/changes that are made. Not sure right now if they are going to do anything to mine but it's been noted.

I just cannot believe they did this on purpose. It makes no sense to change the process on the rear window and leave the front one the same. It also doesn’t look good.

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce