Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also have the distortion on the back glass and I'm scheduled to have it replaced with the "upgraded version" in the next couple of weeks

Do you mean the distortion with the rear defroster on? I have the newer glass and I don't know what it is like on old glass, but I do have some horizontal distortion when the defroster is on with the new glass.

As far as UV/IR, a 2nd service center has assured me the new glass is better than the old glass.

I just wish the glass matched between roof and back panels. I don't know who's bright idea it was to change one and leave the other. I mean, it's not a big deal or anything, but I overlook my car from work and the roof glass is purpleish and the back glass is deep black. Would be nice if it matched like when I placed the order for the car...

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Just came back from Burbank SC and been told the newer glasses are all like that without the redish color but have UV and tint protection. They said they have confirmed it with Fremont and local tech, but i'm gonna tint it anyways.
Been driving in their 2014 model S for the last 19 days, and then sat in my blue model 3 and i could feel the heat coming from the top and back (only 85F outside around 3pm, both car have glass roof).

Do you mean the distortion with the rear defroster on? I have the newer glass and I don't know what it is like on old glass, but I do have some horizontal distortion when the defroster is on with the new glass.

I have distortion all of the time. Looks like a cheap fish bowl out the back of my window, sort of wavy sections almost corresponding to the defroster lines. Haven't even tried my rear defroster yet. Maybe I should turn it on to see if it gets better/worse! When the service center took a look they were quick to offer a replacement with the "upgraded glass". FWIW I asked about the orange effect and after some research they told me that the new glass meets or exceeds the UV and IR specs of the older glass. I just don't want to swap it out only to have additional issues either from the new glass or the actual work (rattles, wind noise, etc.).

Noticed today my M3 RWD has the orange tint in the top pane but not at all for the 2nd pane. The car definitely got warmer than my X3 when I was washing them both this morning but not sure if that's because of worse IR specs of M3 glass or all glass-top cars will have this issue. Earlier I thought the orange glass just a cool factor but now not so sure...

I have distortion all of the time. Looks like a cheap fish bowl out the back of my window, sort of wavy sections almost corresponding to the defroster lines. Haven't even tried my rear defroster yet. Maybe I should turn it on to see if it gets better/worse! When the service center took a look they were quick to offer a replacement with the "upgraded glass". FWIW I asked about the orange effect and after some research they told me that the new glass meets or exceeds the UV and IR specs of the older glass. I just don't want to swap it out only to have additional issues either from the new glass or the actual work (rattles, wind noise, etc.).

I believe I have distortion in mine too and i have the original orange tinted glass.

It doesn’t seem too bothersome. It’s not like I’m reading street signs out the the back window while driving.

I just need to see if there’s a car tailgating me.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61
I know this has been posted to death but just love these water windshield pics. They are beautiful :)
9ADB2D6F-AC2D-49C5-ADBF-94E708793F2D.jpeg
FC6F8112-04A7-4D5A-B5C3-9AF174EE62F3.jpeg
8BA05D96-DED5-4331-87CB-55E2E433FA12.jpeg
AAF78A50-4E92-489B-A605-C3744CE9316C.jpeg

Lets face it, the rainbow factory tint is gone on the back window for all newer builds. It is a manufacturing part change, probably from a different vendor. I think when they run out of stock on the top window, it will also no longer feature the rainbow effect.

I bet it was part of the 10 supplier change a while ago. The part that bothers me is if it actually has reduced IR protection and its still listed as such:

upload_2018-10-5_1-6-4.png

• Disagree
Reactions: untilcomplete
I had my glass replaced originally when I got the vehicle to the distortion. I mentioned to the Service Manager causally that it was still distorted but I gave up on caring to which he said, no we'll replace it there's a new supplier. I questioned him about orange, he said it wouldn't do it anymore but the protection is still there.

I have to say, the new version is a lot better from a clarity standpoint (still a very very very slight wobble at the defroster line) but overall much better.

They definitely changed suppliers, they now use the supplier of the side glass. You can see the stamp on the window above the defroster connection point on the driver's side. I believe older versions had it in a different spot.

Dropping my car off today to get my back window replaced. I hate to lose the orange effect but I was able to test a non-orange glass recently with my remote+camera setup and it appears that the IR rejection was similar. Hopefully the new glass has less distortion in the back. Will report back once it's finished.

Dropping my car off today to get my back window replaced. I hate to lose the orange effect but I was able to test a non-orange glass recently with my remote+camera setup and it appears that the IR rejection was similar. Hopefully the new glass has less distortion in the back. Will report back once it's finished.

Just to provide an update. The service tech was really helpful and let me look at other cars while I was at the SC. Although my car is worse than the others, I could still see some distortion in other cars as well. In the end I decided to wait on the glass replacement.

This was produced in August. AWD batch. Top glass seems darker tint inside than the RWD that I test drove.
Though soon to have rear glass replaced. Getting a nasty crack in the defroster

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180922_193251.jpg
    MVIMG_20180922_193251.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 114
Last edited: