TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gzzn, Aug 28, 2018.

1. neptunesfinest

• Like x 1
  2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Particularly psychedelic looking today...

rain1.jpg

• Like x 1
  3. MMBTUS

MMBTUS Member

It’s really quite beautiful.

My M3 RWD built in July, VIN 76xxx, does not have the orange coating on the rear roof glass panel. Front panel has it.

Don’t think it affects glass performance though.

4. MMBTUS

MMBTUS Member

Let me rephrase that: I live in FL and have no complaints about cabin comfort.

5. Cintoman

Cintoman Member

Sad, but I read thru this entire thread in one sitting...boring Thursday night I guess.

As a data point, my M3 LR AWD is an 08/18 build, delivered to me on 9/27/18, VIN: 097730. I only have the orange on the roof above the driver's head. No orange on the entire rear glass. Wish it had the orange on the back glass to match the roof glass, but not a real big deal. If the newer non-orange glass is better (and it seems it is), then I'm fine with that. Also wouldn't want to sacrifice the factory seal if I were to replace it.

People who see the roof in orange think it's the coolest thing ever.

--Cintoman

6. Jedi2155

Jedi2155 Model 3 has Arrived.

Yeah, I was quite sad my car didn't have it...but...c'est la vie.

7. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

I noticed something very interesting on my way to work earlier this week!

Makes me wish I had the coating all the way down!

The fog/condensation on the outside of the glass seems to only exist in the area without the coating. So somehow the coating burned off the morning crud faster than the uncoated section. Note I was NOT running the rear defroster at all.

Ironic that the one section of the rear window that I care about being able to see out was opaque. Also ironic that it is the only part that has the window heater, so I could have just turned that on to burn this off.

GlassCoating.jpg

8. neptunesfinest

It’s the tinted section absorbing the sun and heating up causing the difference in condensation. Has nothing to do with the red coating which covers the entire rear glass.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  9. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

Or none of the rear glass in newer model 3 cases right?

10. neptunesfinest

Right, unfortunately.

11. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

What makes it seem like the newer non-orange glass better?

• Like x 1
  12. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Your tint guy is indeed full of it.

How did I get mine tinted? By having the tint shop tint it. Any tinter can tint any glass. Good tinters can do a good job on any glass. What is this "bad on the part that already has the orange coating" ?? It is only orange when wet. And it is still orange when extra tint is added. What your tint guy said makes zero sense.

• Like x 1
  13. happyzod

happyzod Member

I love my rainbow roof. It's only 2/3rds version but I think that is the best version (no distortion in the rear window). It is one of the unexpected surprises from my model 3 purchases and well worth the 5K for the Premium package.

I feel sorry for folks who are buying earlier versions with only the driver side glass being rainbow. It makes me smile every time there is rain!

14. super20g

super20g Member

There is no 2/3rds version. If you tint the glass, you will see the iridescent effect all the way down.

• Informative x 1
  15. happyzod

happyzod Member

This is something you've tried? What tint?

16. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

At least hundreds, likely many thousands have "tried" this. 100% of the evidence now points to what super20g said (and months ago, I was called out on getting this wrong too!).

If left clear, the "rear window" portion of that back glass will not go orange when wet. If tinted (and if the rest of the glass goes orange) then the back part will as well. You'll not see a "2/3" version of the glass that has been tinted.... you'll only see that if not tinted.

As for what type of tint? It doesn't seem to matter. Just needs to be tinted.

17. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

It has been tested by others to show that all versions of the glass rejects an impressive amount of IR. Your passengers are decently protected by the factory glass.

18. more863-also

more863-also Member

Wait, seriously? I can get the psychedelic effect on my rear glass too, with a tint? Don't mess with me, that's awesome if true.

19. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Yes but....

ONLY if your glass already has the 2/3 orange thing going on. If you have the 2/3 thing, this means that the entire glass has that coating, and you'll pick up the remaining 1/3 if you tint (at least) that section. If your rear glass shows zero signs of orange you (like mine, and thousands of others) are SOL.

• Helpful x 1
  20. happyzod

happyzod Member

I wonder if there are after market solutions to get this rainbow roof effect.