TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by gzzn, Aug 28, 2018.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

This misunderstanding of the "2/3 orange" rear window actually being fully coated has got to be one of the most questioned things I have seen on the forum in a long time.
    It just isn't that intuitive that another layer of partial tint causes the IR coating to reflect vs "pass through" the light that causes the interesting colored water beads.

For what it is worth, on my back window, when it is coated in dew, and I see the top 2/3 showing the (mostly orange) colors, if I stare closely as the lower 1/3 at a sharp angle I can see a little bit of the colored effect there too.
    So even though many still seem to question/doubt it, I think it is probably true that all of those older rear windows are 100% IR coated and it is true that a different layer of (polarizing?) tint causes it to look like the bottom part isn't coated the same way.

So I think the colored dew drop effect is mostly due to 2 different layers of different kinds of coatings interacting with the light and water drops.

(Phew)

2. more863-also

more863-also Member

Damn, my rear glass has no glow. Now it just looks like Trump with an orange toupee on when it rains.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  3. apsen

apsen Member

To be refracted the light needs to be transmitted. You didn't use the term correct but the rest was correct. You opponent on the other hand did make factual mistakes. For example he got the dependency between color and the properties backwards.

There's difference between engineering 'truths' and scientific 'truth' as in many cases engineers do not need to care about distinction either because it is close enough or in practice they will never encounter contrary cases.

And scientific truth is not absolute either as it is just some theory that happens to work very well and that manages to predict unknown effects. That's why if you are scientist you ideally need to doubt everything. This is unfortunately not practical all the time...

And there's absolute truth - mathematical :)

(You could probably tell that I'm a mathematician by education)

4. apsen

apsen Member

You've got one smart kid! Kudos to him!

5. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

You didn't use the term correctly but...

Sorry. I couldn't help myself.

• Funny x 1
  6. apsen

apsen Member

Actually your pictures demonstrate the effect nicely: the top picture has virtually no glow on the bottom but on the bottom one you could see it but muted. Try putting some temporary tinting under part of the bottom part of it and it is likely that the part with extra tinting will be more like top part but no the part without it. You may not even need temporary tinting but just press some black clothing against the lower part of the window.

• Informative x 1
  7. apsen

apsen Member

With that view out of the back you can't see it anyway unless you use backup camera :)

8. apsen

apsen Member

Yes, I wrote it differently at first and when rephrasing didn't catch that part :(

I could also blame it on English being my 4th language although in practice it is closer to being 3rd... The thing that gets me the most is the usage of 'the' and 'a/an' - I tend to use them much less than native speakers do (I skipped the 'the' before the 'most' at first :) ).

• Funny x 1
  9. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Thanks for generously accepting my humor in the spirit that it was intended. I can barely manage with one language, so you get great respect from me!

Cheers,

10. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Agreed, @TEG

The lower picture says it all. You managed to get an angle that shows that the orange is there even when the lower glass is still clear. Putting tint film on that section would make the lower portion appear the same orange color as the rest of the top glass. At least that's how this works with 100% the other cars with "partial" orange on the back.

11. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

I was trying to decide whether to tint or not so I purchased a small bit of 3M CR70 Crystaline series. I cut it into strips and applied an "X" on each window. Using a FLIR, I then imaged the heat coming off a black card stock inside the cabin. For the windshield, side windows, and lower rear, the "X" showed clearly on the card stock in the thermal image (was cooler where the tint was applied). Under the top and the upper part of the rear, the "X" could not be seen in the image (tint added no discernible additional reduction in the IR getting through). My model 3 has no orange tint on the rear window at all but this test suggests it *does* still have IR blocking for the top portion of the rear window.
    Windshield:
    WindshieldIR.jpg WindshieldVis.jpg
    Sunroof:
    TopIR.jpg TopVis.jpg
    Rear top:
    RearTopIR.jpg RearTopVis.jpg
    Rear bottom:
    RearIR.jpg RearVis.jpg
    Side window:
    SideIR.jpg

Attached Files:

• Informative x 7
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

13. fcharland

fcharland Member

Now... The orange backglass are coming back! What happened !

14. Getlib

Getlib Member

Was noticing my 11/18 build has the orange effect on back & roof glass. Was wondering how that happened but it sounds like maybe there's other recent builds with it too?

• Like x 1
  15. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

:O - Jealous. I wonder if/when we can have our replaced. I would definitely pay money to get mine to match.

• Like x 1
  16. spyderdawg

spyderdawg Member

How are you sure the orange glass is back? I need my window replaced due to my tinter destroying the defrost grid but am hesitant bc I dont want the new plain glass.. if true this is great

17. fcharland

fcharland Member

Recent report of new car deliveries... I've seen them on a few places

18. super20g

super20g Member

That is rather interesting if new production has indeed reverted back to the prior glass design.

BTW, I had the non-iridescent glass, had it replaced with the iridescent glass, but it is pretty hard to see out of it with the defroster on due to being distorted. Is that how the non-iridescent glass is as well?

19. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

It’s not necessarily a design thing at all. It’s more likely it’s that Tesla had to source another supplier temporarily to meet production goals.

20. Leeclanual

Leeclanual Member

I have a Dec build and it only has orange glass on top...

• Informative x 1