Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let us know how that goes... Interesting to see the old glass back in stock...

I am also interested to see if you have a significantly distorted view (with the defroster on) with the replacement glass... Mine is really bad and technically unsafe but I don't want to lose the old glass style so its a catch 22.

Mine has distorted view as well
Talked to SC and they said aware of it but no fix at the moment

My 08/18 Build Date non-orange rear roof glass is getting replaced tomorrow 02/19/19 by Tesla due to an issue with some rear defogger lines not working. It'd be cool if I got the orange rear roof glass, as it seems like that's being installed on some new production cars. Wondering if mine will be replaced with the orange glass or not. According to Tesla Dedham, there's no part # difference between the different rear glass (orange and non-orange).

I'll report when I get my car back later this week, as I have a few more minor items Tesla Service will be fixing since they have my car there.

--Cintoman

FA76C517-FDCE-4273-918B-F081EF332D1C.jpeg
Just to bring this back for kicks and giggles, just bought a slightly used M3 (june18 build) and it has the full back window!

Got my car back from the glass replacement and the new glass is not orange coated. So it's the same non-orange as my original one. Didn't have an opportunity to turn the defogger on, as it wasn't foggy in the car, nor was there any frost on the exterior. Thankfully I'm not seeing any distortion in the glass.

Replacement work done at the Tesla Dedham SC by JN Phillips Glass was perfect and came out great. No issues at all.

--Cintoman

(First Post) I just took delivery of my Model 3 LR AWD a week ago. Yesterday it rained. I recalled, during my research seeing/hearing about the orange effect of the UV protection in ceiling glass, so I wasn't surprise to notice it yesterday. However, mine has what appears to be a blemish, maybe. A decent portion of the panel over driver's head doesn't have water beading up on it, and therefore doesn't turn to orange hue. I haven't yet even washed the car and from what it looks like, this is happening only because water isn't beading there. But, it's not symmetrical, so appears to be unintentional. I should have gotten a better pic. Has anyone seen this and can reassure me there's not permanent issue? I've got a call into Mobile Service for a few things, so hopefully I'll see what they have to say.
Eric

Attachments

• roof glass not all orange.jpg
    roof glass not all orange.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 200
(First Post) I just took delivery of my Model 3 LR AWD a week ago. Yesterday it rained. I recalled, during my research seeing/hearing about the orange effect of the UV protection in ceiling glass, so I wasn't surprise to notice it yesterday. However, mine has what appears to be a blemish, maybe. A decent portion of the panel over driver's head doesn't have water beading up on it, and therefore doesn't turn to orange hue. I haven't yet even washed the car and from what it looks like, this is happening only because water isn't beading there. But, it's not symmetrical, so appears to be unintentional. I should have gotten a better pic. Has anyone seen this and can reassure me there's not permanent issue? I've got a call into Mobile Service for a few things, so hopefully I'll see what they have to say.
Eric
Almost looks like something spilled on the roof. The lack of beading seems to continue onto the windshield. Maybe try washing it and applying rainex?

Got my car back from the glass replacement and the new glass is not orange coated. So it's the same non-orange as my original one. Didn't have an opportunity to turn the defogger on, as it wasn't foggy in the car, nor was there any frost on the exterior. Thankfully I'm not seeing any distortion in the glass.

Replacement work done at the Tesla Dedham SC by JN Phillips Glass was perfect and came out great. No issues at all.

--Cintoman

Color of glass does not indicate whether UV coated or not...

Reactions: youngmcdonald
I have a 12/18/2018 build and had my half orange rear glass replaced with black last Friday at Santa Clara, CA service. I noticed that I can now see the rear window brake light from inside the car and I don’t recall it being like that. I’m guessing it wasn’t installed correctly, but I wanted to double check with you all that you’re not supposed to see it.

Attachments

• F7649B12-F7F0-45D0-BA96-A24A91CEEBC1.jpeg
    F7649B12-F7F0-45D0-BA96-A24A91CEEBC1.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 102
I have a 12/18/2018 build and had my half orange rear glass replaced with black last Friday at Santa Clara, CA service. I noticed that I can now see the rear window brake light from inside the car and I don’t recall it being like that. I’m guessing it wasn’t installed correctly, but I wanted to double check with you all that you’re not supposed to see it.
Nope I cannot see the brake light.

• Informative
Reactions: Aaron14902

That does not look right. I had my rear glass replaced quite a few months ago. Both before and after my glass replacement, I could never see the brake light from inside the car. My understanding is that there is some rubber/foam that goes around the brake light, and then the rear window gets installed, effectively compressing this rubber/foam so no light penetrates it. You can't see this rubber/foam from the outside because the rear window has black painting around the brake light. But I would suspect that you might be able to see it from inside the car.

This definitely doesn't look right.

--Cintoman

• Informative
Reactions: Aaron14902
That does not look right. I had my rear glass replaced quite a few months ago. Both before and after my glass replacement, I could never see the brake light from inside the car. My understanding is that there is some rubber/foam that goes around the brake light, and then the rear window gets installed, effectively compressing this rubber/foam so no light penetrates it. You can't see this rubber/foam from the outside because the rear window has black painting around the brake light. But I would suspect that you might be able to see it from inside the car.

This definitely doesn't look right.

--Cintoman
I can't see any of the taillight assembly from the inside, but good to know about the rubber. The front headliner was damaged during the glass installation so they're going to fix the taillight along with that. I also got the car back with a door chip on the edge, but it doesn't look like they're going to fix that. I'll bring it up again at my appointment, however.

I got the car back with wheel curb rash earlier this year, which they also didn't resolve. As a best practice, I'm going to start doing walk arounds with the advisor at drop off and pick up.

Reactions: Cintoman