Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Assuming you mean you are taking Tesla’s word that IR light is blocked same as UV light, not that they are colorblind outside the visual spectrum :).

So far only UV light has been tested. As the orange effect in question is indicitive of an IR coating, not UV, I don’t think we can conclusively say if the IR blocking effect has changed based on the data here alone, especially considering the service folks did not seem very knowledgable about this change based on Garlan’s investigation.

Should be pretty easy to test IR if somone has one of those cheap thermal cameras, seek or flir.

I’ll get one and test mine when I have the chance, not sure what kind of glass I have yet.

Assuming you mean you are taking Tesla’s word that IR light is blocked same as UV light, not that they are colorblind outside the visual spectrum :).

So far only UV light has been tested. As the orange effect in question is indicitive of an IR coating, not UV, I don’t think we can conclusively say if the IR blocking effect has changed based on the data here alone, especially considering the service folks did not seem very knowledgable about this change based on Garlan’s investigation.

Should be pretty easy to test IR if somone has one of those cheap thermal cameras, seek or flir.

I’ll get one and test mine when I have the chance, not sure what kind of glass I have yet.
I'm not taking Tesla's word alone. That's why I went to the Service Center. They ran the test with their UV meter. Doesn't seem to matter which film you have between the sheets of glass. Numbers were the same.

Well I dropped mine off today to get it switched to the reddish orangey tint in the rear. Told the service to make sure it matches the front before they perform major surgery. After all the info Garlan found today, not sure if it will make a difference but at least it will match the front.

I couldn’t find my temperature gun to check today before I dropped off so couldn’t do that test I was hoping for.

Another thought , maybe some of these rear roof for the $35k version that may not have the glass roof exposed on the inside like the loaner Model S they gave me today. It is glass on the outside and completely blocked the inside with a head liner no need for any coating.

I'm not taking Tesla's word alone. That's why I went to the Service Center. They ran the test with their UV meter. Doesn't seem to matter which film you have between the sheets of glass. Numbers were the same.

Right, you tested UV as the same, but not IR. So you are taking Tesla’s word IR is also blocked? Very different kinds of light that bookend opposite ends of the visual spectrum. The orange glow is typical of IR blocking films, so they may have UV blocked but IR allowed through.

Reactions: Brian N
I've thought long and hard about this so I went to the Westmont Il service center about 2 hours ago. As luck would have it.....There were 2 earlier model 3's there as well as mine.

Blue Model 3 - Full back Red colored glass in the rain.
White P3D+ ( mine ) - No Red look at all on the rear.
Black P3D demo driver car - Half Red colored glass in the rain.

Below is a pic of My car and the Blue one to the right.

View attachment 330152

I was vehemently presenting my case that I was missing some kind of UV coating or something. The service manager and I went back to the Tesla Parts computer and he looked up what rear window belonged on the back of my car. After searching and searching we found it. xx-A2 is the part number that showed up on the left (drivers side) of the rear window right above the C-pillar. Then we went back to my car and found the number and sure enough I have a xx-A2 window. I then went to the blue model 3 next to me and it was also xx-a2.

I was thinking.....what's going on here? Then after further research on the Tesla Service Computer we found that there are 4 different manufacturers of that rear window. The company that made my P3D+ window film that is sandwiched between to the 2 pieces of glass that comprise of the rear window is 3M. We were only able to look that up via the VIN.
Tesla had some kind of uv light meter and I was able to compare the uv light from my rear window and the blue cars rear window and the light meter showed the exact same numbers. We then took the light meter to a Model S CPO 2013 Model S rear window and the numbers of the meter were doubled ( more uv coming through). Interesting.
So.....the Customer service manager suggested to me that if I ever have to replace the rear glass in my Model 3 to remind the Tesla Service Center to replace the glass with the glass assigned to my VIN because the rear window part number is the same across all Model 3's.

Then the Customer manager asked me an ALL IMPORTANT QUESTION....that I could only answer after seeing all 3 cars together.

I have a White on White P3D+ FSD Model 3. He asked..."Out of all three versions of the rear window....with your white seats and all...….Which window would you have ordered?".

Without hesitation I responded "The one I have".

I said this because even when the rain stops( on the full red window as well as the half red window) ….the red of the red window blocks out the ability to see the color of the interior. I want to be able to see my white seats from the rear. Its beautiful.

Case closed for me.
But what about the fact that you still have that colored tint on the ceiling glass above the front seats? and the fact that it now doesn't match with the back glass. I agree with you that its fine that they changed it but shouldn't the entire roof glass be consistent from one film manufacturer?

Reactions: Lobstahz
That's normal I think. The back glass was never fully coated -- just the top most part.

But what about pictures like this? :
b6551b22-1ab6-47eb-8c98-ce8826d4d7bb-jpeg.330234

That looks "fully coated".

Mine is only partially coated, like these:
windoze.png

Right, you tested UV as the same, but not IR. So you are taking Tesla’s word IR is also blocked? Very different kinds of light that bookend opposite ends of the visual spectrum. The orange glow is typical of IR blocking films, so they may have UV blocked but IR allowed through.
So....should I take your word or Tesla's word?

Tesla says UV is the red.
You say IR is the red.

I should trust you over Tesla? Is that what you are saying?

Reactions: GWord
But what about the fact that you still have that colored tint on the ceiling glass above the front seats? and the fact that it now doesn't match with the back glass. I agree with you that its fine that they changed it but shouldn't the entire roof glass be consistent from one film manufacturer?
Answer = No.

It depends on what the customer ( Tesla ) wants. from the vendor.

If Tesla wants different colors on each window....then the vendor should be able to supply it....or they won't able to be the Tesla vendor of choice. This is a preferential - customer demanded item.

I don't remember a Model S thread about the front UV windshield film being yellow in the rain....and the rear UV window film being silver. and the top sunroof UV film being blue - just like I showed in the pic. I suppose the Red/Orange Model 3 UV film is more prominent...prompting this discussion.

How do we explain the rear glass that only turns red halfway down? Why wouldn't you want IR rejection on the whole sheet of glass?
My theory? Thus far, every picture showing the color shift on the entire rear glass is a car with tinted windows. I think the rear glass is always all or none (well, except for that car that had a blotchy look a while back). The reason you don't see the color shift going all the way down on untinted cars is contrast: the light shifted from IR to visible and reflected is overpowered by the light you're seeing through the clear window. At least, that's my theory.