Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof - production change (July 2018)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if there are different part numbers for the rear glass roof variants?

My tint installer nicked some the rear defrost lines on my back window so that’s been fun.

Trying to see if I can use the opportunity to try and source an original rear roof glass piece. Ugh.

Thanks

Anyone know if there are different part numbers for the rear glass roof variants?

My tint installer nicked some the rear defrost lines on my back window so that’s been fun.

Trying to see if I can use the opportunity to try and source an original rear roof glass piece. Ugh.

Thanks

The parts catalog has just one part #, so it looks like the old part has been phased out... Perhaps someone has other info, however.

Tinted - vin under 20K - delivered May 2018

Model 3.jpg

Attachments

• Model 3.jpg
    Model 3.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 101
I saw a store demo (now sold to someone) P3D+ VIN 55xxx that had the orange tint on the rear window. It seems too new to have it but somehow it did.
Maybe they had some old glass laying around when they built that one.

Store demos were some of the earliest builds for the most part. No surprise they had the Orange tint.

I didn't see the build-date, but I had assumed it was more recent since the VIN 55xxx is much higher than mine 19xxx and supposedly the orange glass went away soon after mine was assembled.
( ~May )

Hmm, guess its pretty hard to tell from the VIN, you could be right. Tesla probably knew the orange tint was appealing so made sure it went onto the demo cars. The orange tint was likely a more expensive version of the glass, and in cutting cost they went to an absorption coating rather than the visible reflective coating.

Yeah, I figure as much, although I think the "official" comment is more like "it still has a reflective coating". Never any mention of it being a possible cost saving measure.

A little bit like the Ultrasuede -> Cloth change with the headliner that had caused a fuss before.