Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass Roof Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Italia81 I agree with most people here, we had just under 30,000 miles in our car before transferring to Model X, and neither I nor passengers have had any issues with the open glass, including our very sensitive (but funny) friend with very pasty sensitive white skin. And it also sounds like you are, or are starting to agree with most people here.

However, it seems like the wife might be more of the roadblock at this point. To help relax her "super paranoia" as you say, perhaps you could being up the following:

1) Additional Tint: I know of someone who was in a similar position, concerned that the glass roof may be an issue. They went ahead with it anyway with the notion that they'd have additional tint added to the top if the heat was an issue. Apparently having an additional layer of tint added to the top can be relatively cheap depending. That thought put them at ease when they ordered, however after getting the car they completely disregarded that because they said the heat was no issue at all and it wasn't necessary. They remain happy today :)

2) Le sunshade: I believe they have or are releasing a sunshade for the glass roof. This is a simple enough fix, it's worth mentioning that a glass roof doesn't need to be continually exposed and that it can be covered.

3) Test drive again: Your wife's paranoia can be completely justified if it was tested on a very hot day, and it was hot inside the car, since this is her only experience with the car. It may be worth going for another test drive on a day that may be sunny but not too hot to get another feel for the roof.

And lastly, I would strongly advise that you make a decision based upon your preferences rather than because of incremental cost savings. On my car, I made a choice with some cost savings in mind, and later regretted it a lot. In the grand scheme of things, an extra $1000/$2000 or so isn't life changing compared to the satisfaction of getting the perfect car for everyone. Also don't forget about the $1000 and free supercharging with a Tesla referral code! If you're interested, I have a code I'm looking to get used since I'm only 1 away from a cool big prize. I also have custom Model S floormats that I have but can't use since I traded to Model X, if you end up going ahead with a purchase, maybe you'd like these too!? In any case good luck and if you need my code it's My Tesla Referral Code

Last edited:
UV is not a problem for any car...
I wonder about that. I've been told by dermatologists that they see more skin cancers on the left side of the face in left-hand-drive countries due to greater sun exposure in cars (and how many people really drive with the windows open since the advent of AC?). Although regular glass does cut out most UV I do get a lot of UV fading through the windows in my house. Perhaps cars, especially modern cars, use better UV filtering than double pane house window glass.

I don't know. I'm just a bit skeptical that UV is all that well filtered by car glass. With regard to a glass roof, I am subject to glare from the remnants of cataracts, so having to wear a hat in a glass roof car would be a nuisance. I already drive with visors down at all times during the day to reduce glare — it helps a lot.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Ceramic tint all around works wonders - 90% 3M Ceramic tint on front windshield blocks the heat very well.
3M™ Automotive Window Film Crystalline Series | 3M United States

You can find an all-glass roof sunshade for the model S here for the near 100% solution:
Sunshade for Tesla: Model-S: 2012-2017 Auto Heat Shield

But living in Houston and driving around Texas last weekend in the high 90's, the glass roof was not where the heat comes in - it's the front and back glass even with Ceramic tint. The tint let in more palpable heat than the roof - but it was negligible and the A/C even on range mode (half power) was barely running most of the trip.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP
I wonder about that.
There is some variation in results from different manufacturers but as an average ..

This is a nice summary from the Cancer Council of Australia:

As the Cancer Council Australia Position statement states1:

• UV radiation levels inside a car vary depending on factors such as whether the side windows are open or closed and the orientation of the vehicle with respect to the sun.
  • They are generally much lower than outside in full sunlight, varying from as low as 4% up to 50% of the ambient UV radiation outside the vehicle.
  • Clear autoglass (side windows) blocks about 97% of the UVB radiation and about 37% of UVA radiation.
  • Laminated windscreens block all of the UVB radiation and about 80% of the UVA radiation.
  • Clear windscreen films can reduce the transmission of UVR further so that as much as 97% of the UVA is blocked. This depends on the quality of film used.
  • Clear or tinted films can also reduce the amount of UVA and UVB penetrating through the side glass. The amount of protection varies with different products.
So, our recommendation is that if you're not spending a lot of time in the car with your children every day, there's really no need to get window tinting. However, it's a wise choice if you're spending much of your day behind the wheel such as a sales person or a truck driver would.

And ... a primer on UV radiation as it affects the skin.

I have a MS 90D with all glass roof, received March, 2017 and I live in Cincinnati, OH. We've had a few hot and humid days and I also have been on a few road trips around the Midwest. I now forget that the all glass roof is even there because it's so dark and I never notice any extra heat. My other car is a VW Touareg with very large panoramic sunroof with automatic shade screen (example pics included). The screen in the Touareg is insufficient. The MS all glass roof is far, far better than the Touareg sunroof with screen closed.

So far my opinion of the MS all glass roof is that it's simply something to wow passengers. I don't even notice it or think of it as good or bad.
vw-touareg-sunroof.jpg 1496.jpg

There is some variation in results from different manufacturers but as an average ..

This is a nice summary from the Cancer Council of Australia:
Two melanoma surgeries for me — presumably due to my misspent youth growing up on the beaches of Hawai'i (fifth generation kama'aina). So I tend to be concerned about UV, living here at high altitude in Colorado!

Amazed at response level and information on this site. Thanks for chiming in. Going with Glass Roof and the wife can wear a hat!

On to the next challenge, have to get a plug installed in my condo space. I park next to a Model X so it's doable. The quote is $5k which seems high. I'll start another thread on that if I need some input.

Two melanoma surgeries for me — presumably due to my misspent youth growing up on the beaches of Hawai'i (fifth generation kama'aina). So I tend to be concerned about UV, living here at high altitude in Colorado!
I have a similar mis-spent youth on the beaches of California, and while I have not grown any melanomas yet the skin damage is apparent and I've also grown my own cataracts.

What's done is done; the few minutes of sun I am currently exposed to daily is not going to make any difference to whatever future skin cancers I develop. And as I hinted at above, a modest amount of sunlight is healthy.

Last edited:
Subjectively I don't like the sun shining at me through the glass roof. Relatively speaking about heat, the surface gets hot (glass or metal) but the upholstery underneath the metal roof prevents radiant heat, unfortunately the glass becomes it's own source of radiant heat on hot days.

• Informative
Reactions: QUBO
I live in Hawaii and I've had my model s with the glass roof for 3 months now. When driving, the heat is not too noticeable. When its parked in the hot sun the glass is so hot it hurts to touch it even from the inside. There is quite a bit of radiant heat from it when I get inside.

I'm in Vegas and have the sunroof. The factory tint is pretty darn good, but not perfect. I get some heat off the glass that i can feel on my head when the car is out and about for a bit. It's not awful, but is noticeable. Most time i leave the sunshades off, but if i'm going for an hour long drive at high noon i put them in.

I'm in Houston, and I have the Pano roof (glass with the sunroof). It's not a problem at all. In fact, when I went to get the windows tinted, I had intended to put additional tint on the roof. They guy waived me off it, telling me that Tesla already had it covered. This is a guy that could have just said "yes, sir" and made some real money off the job, but he was being honest.

From my own experience, my Model S does not get nearly as hot as when I would forget to close the (much smaller) moonroof cover in the Lexus I gave up for the MS. With nothing additional on the Pano roof and a high visibility tint on the rest of the glass, it's cooler than the Lexus was with the cover closed.

I'm in Houston, and I have the Pano roof (glass with the sunroof). It's not a problem at all. In fact, when I went to get the windows tinted, I had intended to put additional tint on the roof. They guy waived me off it, telling me that Tesla already had it covered. This is a guy that could have just said "yes, sir" and made some real money off the job, but he was being honest.

From my own experience, my Model S does not get nearly as hot as when I would forget to close the (much smaller) moonroof cover in the Lexus I gave up for the MS. With nothing additional on the Pano roof and a high visibility tint on the rest of the glass, it's cooler than the Lexus was with the cover closed.

Quick follow up, you mentioned you had a Lexus previously. How would you compare the service levels?