TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

glass roof super hot. Any way to reduce it?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Quesder, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Quesder

Quesder Member

I actually don't like Tesla sun glass roof. It filters UV, but seems to absorb Infrared, and becomes super hot during summer time. I paid $1500 for white paint for the car, but the roof is still super hot. I can feel it when I sit at the rear seats.
    Anyway to fix that? Does any film/coating apply to it? Thanks.

2. Sigma4Life

Sigma4Life Member

Maybe get a clear tint added to the roof. I got it on my front windshield in my Model S and it works great. Can't even tell it's there.

• Like x 1
  3. calvinvle

calvinvle Member

Get the 3M ceramic tinting. It should reflect heat.

4. clmason

clmason Member

Get the sun shade. I leave it in full time.

• Like x 1
  5. marusan

marusan Member

If the glass itself is getting hot (and not just creating a greenhouse), a shade isn't going to help. You'd need something reflective on the exterior of the glass.

6. Glamisduner

Glamisduner Active Member

So you would have to tint the outside of the glass?!

7. Quesder

Quesder Member

how and where can I do it? I live in the Bay Area of California. Thanks.

8. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Any car window tinting shop. There are probably dozens within a 20 mile drive of where you live. Use Google.

9. RayK

RayK Member

<Opening up a can of worms>

Okay, but which is the best film for keeping the heat out while still being transparent?

From my perspective, I think 50% would be the most I'd be willing to install.

Oh, and I already have the front roof sunshade and while it keeps my head a little bit cooler, the area surrounding the glass and fabric shade is still warm.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  10. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

You haven't tinted your side/rear windows yet? I'd worry about that first, that's probable the biggest chunk of the issue. I don't know about CA laws with applying film to the front windshield but maybe consider that, too (you can get it very close to visually "clear" but still blocking a lot of the IR/UV, which helps a lot with heat).

11. buddhra

buddhra Member

Are you saying it's noticeably hot while you're moving or just when you first get in after it has been parked in the sun? I agree that it gets hot while parked and I can feel the heat radiating off it, but it quickly cools down once air is moving over it and it's no big deal.

It already has an IR and UV blocking tint on it, so I don't see more tint helping there. A light colored car cover: https://amzn.to/2uuW1le is about the only thing that's going to prevent a black surface from getting hot in the sun.

• Like x 1
  12. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Meh
    I’m in Texas which is pretty close to the sun and the AC keeps the heat at bay for me.
    I just have it angled upwards.
    I have no hair and don’t get overheated, not sure if having hair helps or hinders though :cool:

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  13. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

14. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

As an aside, has Tesla published any official figures on how much UV and IR their default factory coating on the glass roof of the M3 is supposed to block?

• Like x 1
  15. Trevor B

Trevor B Member

Somebody from TX is reporting the roof is no where as hot as you claim.

They get a lot more sun there ... so looks like this is something specific to your car

16. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

That's my experience also, even without hair to protect my shiny head :)

17. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

I don't really get it. OP's profile says San Jose, so not even SoCal. That's 5degrees latitude further North than even Dallas. Down further South here my winter is San Jose's summer.

It sounds though like they hadn't tinted the sides yet and the Model 3 could get toasty if you left that in the summer sun. The back window alone is pretty flat, very large, and most of it lacks a factory tint.

The roof is going to get warm to the touch, and unlike metal roofs (which also get very warm) it doesn't have something to keep you from touching it. But, as the doctor says, "then don't touch it".

18. Scrutmonkey

Scrutmonkey Member

This makes me want to take some temp readings throughout the day tomorrow

19. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

Agreed.

Tint reduces radiation passing into the cabin mostly via absorption. AKA, the glass gets hotter.
    I've been pleasantly surprised though by how quickly the interior side of the glass cools off during driving. I've been meaning to check inside and outside glass temperatures after a drive out of curiosity.

20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

#20 ecarfan, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    This same discussion occurred in multiple threads on TMC when Tesla introduced the glass roof in the S a few years ago. Some people complained it was too hot. Other people said it was fine, even people in hot climates. People said “just cool the car with the app before you get in”, “use the sunshade”, “the AC cools it down quickly”.

The Model 3 glass roof is the same glass as the S glass roof. And obviously Tesla has sold a lot of Model S with the glass roof (it’s the standard roof) and they aren’t going to change it, so apparently it is not an obstacle to sales. Out in the sun the glass roof certainly can be hot to the touch, but maintaining the cabin temperature is not difficult according to people in very warm climates, such as Texas.