Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glass roof super hot. Any way to reduce it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 3 seems hotter than my S. I suspect that is because I can't vent a pano roof on the 3 (which helped a LOT) and the cabin overheat doesn't work the same (at least on 2018.21.9, cant say for the newer firmwares). I was miserable enough that I bought the Tesla shade early on for my 3, which I NEVER felt the need to do in the S. I also wonder if the smaller cabin volume vs glass ratio makes it feel hotter as well.
I think it is 2018.24 that has the cabin overheat protection.

I can feel the glass heat when I sit at the rear seat. There is only 1.5 inches between my head and the roof .
I didn't notice anyone else mention this, so I'm going to point it out: I don't think you're talking abut something PUP related (the glass roof itself). Backseat passengers generally have their head behind the cross member in the roof, the [optional, or at least will be] glass roof is only the section in front of that cross member. The piece behind is the back window.

You'll definitely want to tint your back and side windows, it makes a lot of difference.

Last edited:
I actually don't like Tesla sun glass roof. It filters UV, but seems to absorb Infrared, and becomes super hot during summer time. I paid $1500 for white paint for the car, but the roof is still super hot. I can feel it when I sit at the rear seats.
Anyway to fix that? Does any film/coating apply to it? Thanks.
I've got the same issue with my 2019 Model 3 - it's oppressively hot during the summer and radiates heat onto my head while I'm in it, even with the AC running full tilt. Otherwise I love the car, but this could have me trading it in.

I’m just not understanding people complaining about the roof glass in the Model 3 (can’t speak for the S/X).
I’ll put our sun intensity here in Phoenix up against anyone’s (well, anyone this side of Kuwait), and after four summers with my Model 3 all I’ve got to say is the glass works remarkably well. Yes, if the car sits in the sun for an hour the glass is hot when you get in. It takes perhaps 15 minutes for the glass to cool to the point that a hand held up a couple inches from the glass feels only slight radiation - and that’s on a 115+F day ( no 120’s since I’ve owned the car).
I guess some people are just a lot more sensitive to hear

I’m just not understanding people complaining about the roof glass in the Model 3 (can’t speak for the S/X).
I’ll put our sun intensity here in Phoenix up against anyone’s (well, anyone this side of Kuwait), and after four summers with my Model 3 all I’ve got to say is the glass works remarkably well. Yes, if the car sits in the sun for an hour the glass is hot when you get in. It takes perhaps 15 minutes for the glass to cool to the point that a hand held up a couple inches from the glass feels only slight radiation - and that’s on a 115+F day ( no 120’s since I’ve owned the car).
I guess some people are just a lot more sensitive to hear
Do you have a headful of hair?

I have a 2019 S and the glass roof absolutely makes the car super super hot inside. I have to keep the AC on max and still get a bit wet on the back. Tesla is an amazing car for sure. But nowhere to put an iPhone? No automatic charging? Even Escalade has that. Many things could be improved on the comfort level as well. I would say the glass roof is a def NO in hotter climates such as Texas.

Something I have noticed. The glass roof on the 3 gets INCREDIBLY hot and radiates a lot of heat but it only radiates it about an inch or two down. The UV rays aren't getting through the glass, it's just the radiant heat FROM the glass. When I'm sitting in the seat I don't feel any heat at all. But here's the thing. I have my seat very low down. If I jack it up high I can start to feel the heat as I get closer to the roof.

So maybe this has more to do with certain people's heads proximity to the roof and why some feel the heat (OP) and others (like me) don't?

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Something I have noticed. The glass roof on the 3 gets INCREDIBLY hot and radiates a lot of heat but it only radiates it about an inch or two down. The UV rays aren't getting through the glass, it's just the radiant heat FROM the glass. When I'm sitting in the seat I don't feel any heat at all. But here's the thing. I have my seat very low down. If I jack it up high I can start to feel the heat as I get closer to the roof.

So maybe this has more to do with certain people's heads proximity to the roof and why some feel the heat (OP) and others (like me) don't?
Or if you don't have any hair like me, you definitely feel it. That's why I have always my hat on in the car :)

Somebody from TX is reporting the roof is no where as hot as you claim.

They get a lot more sun there ... so looks like this is something specific to your car
I don't think so because I live in Orlando and it gets hit here and when we go inside our car it's not completely cool when I sit I can feel the ac from my neck down and the heat All in my head due to the glass panoramic roof it's just awful

I get it in my car, especially during extreme situations of sitting under direct sunlight for a long time. I ordered and installed a very nice roof shade system for those extreme hot months, and take it down the rest of the year.

TEMAI Tesla Model 3 Glass Roof Sunshades (2017-2020 Model 3) Amazon.com

Attachments

• 0776DED5-6CA2-4110-9BCF-E916ED9AF8BB.jpeg
    0776DED5-6CA2-4110-9BCF-E916ED9AF8BB.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 72