Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof toughness when removing ice?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had freezing rain and now sub zero here in the Nations Capital, which has coated my car. I would never have used the snow scrapper on the roof of my previous cars to remove ice, but did so today with my M3. After I did it I sort of wondered if this was a mistake? For those of you who have lived through a winter with their M3, have you thoughts on whether the glass roof is as tough as the windshield?

It's never even occurred to me to scrape ice off the roof. Why would you need to? Hardly crucial for visibility and the cabin heat will melt the ice soon enough once you get going.
One word:

I hate lazy drivers. Brush the damn snow and ice off your car! You're reducing the visibility of everyone following you and being a hazard on the road.
One more word: Video appears to show motorist clearing windshield of snow while driving on Toronto highway

Because I am going skiing in Quebec and they charge drivers that have not removed snow off their entire car.
Damn, I wish they did that everywhere!

Two things to say on this:

1. Take the snow and ice off your car, especially the frozen hard stuff, for the sake of other drivers and not injuring someone. I’m in Ottawa too and had the same icy coating on my wife’s car. That stuff will peel off and go flying once the car warms a bit and you go at speed.

2. On the toughness of the glass, it’s really tough. Last winter a flatbed truck ahead and to the right of me on the 401 let fly a huge chunk of ice that came flying towards me. No way to swerve or avoid it. I was sure it was going to trash the glass and made a huge bang. Result - not even a scratch. This stuff is tough!

Because I am going skiing in Quebec and they charge drivers that have not removed snow off their entire car.

When did anybody mention snow? I agree snow flying off cars is incredibly annoying/dangerous and should be removed, but that involves a brush. I'm assuming you aren't concerned about a brush damaging your roof. I had assumed you were talking about the typical winter frost that covers windows and the roof. If you are talking about serious ice storm ice, then I wouldn't go near the car until it's been preheating for 30 mins or so, at which point the ice will come off in big chunks with next to no effort, as there will be a film of water between glass and ice.

Last edited:
When I first got my Model 3 I used my ice scraper to scrape a layer of ice from the roof. It did scratch the glass/coating on the roof, and was the first and last time I tried scraping ice off the roof. Going forward I just preheat and melt any ice off of it.