TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Glass roof

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Christopher Chan, Mar 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Christopher Chan

Love the glass roof ! But given that amount of glass, I wonder if there's a way to close it up like you have with a standard sunroof / moonroof. On super hot and sunny days, all that glass can get pretty uncomfortable.

2. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

I sat in one a Model X today after put down my reservation. The sun was pretty high up in the sky and it feels very comfortable. The view is just stunning. The big windshield of Model X is the best feature I love, more than the falcon wing doors. And I think Model 3 will have similar glass like that one.

• Like x 2
  3. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

I was also wondering if the glass roof was standard or would be an option... haven't had a chance to watch the video yet (I'm at work) - did all the vehicles on stage have it?

4. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

Yes. So I think it would be standard.

5. Christopher Chan

Check out this Periscope video of a test drive (from another thread). Even though it's dark, you can see the huge glass roof very clearly.

6. gbdesai

gbdesai Member

What if you crack your windshield sounds like an expensive replacement. Cali highways are a sure prescription for a chip...

• Like x 2
  7. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I hope it's an option, not standard. It goes down to -35 degrees here in winter, and an entirely glass roof would be bitterly cold.

• Like x 1
  8. Christopher Chan

Hopefully Tesla is using some super duper Gorilla glass :)

9. igotzzoom

igotzzoom Supporting Member

I don't even want to think what the replacement cost would be. I would guess at least $1,000.

• Like x 1
  10. favo

favo Model P3D+ ordered

It appears the front and rear windshields and roof are three separate pieces of glass.

wetport_1.png

• Like x 1
  11. Christopher Chan

I was reading on reddit that the anti-UV coating on the glass really cuts down the heat coming through the roof. But of course, that doesn't help the chipping concern.

• Like x 1
  12. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I recall Bjorn insulated his pano roof on the S. If the glass is standard, maybe as part of the cold weather package option, Tesla could include a Bjorn inspired insulation insert....

13. Lokolo

Lokolo Member

I really really don't like that glass roof 

I'll put down my deposit when I get to work but if I can't choose not to have glass roof I will likely cancel :(

• Like x 1
  14. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

I'm guessing that the glass roof will be an option. The big front window (from the X) may be standard. I recall that the 3 is supposed to have multiple configurations and options, hence the wider range of price points. I'm partial to solid roofs too.

• Like x 1
  15. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

I don't think the glass over the back seats will be optional. Looks pretty hard to "design it out". I guess if you want a solid roof, get a Model S...

I strongly suspect anyone who gets a Model 3 should get the "no deductible for glass" option on their insurance! Same for any Model X owners!

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  16. Lokolo

Lokolo Member

Want to give me the money to buy one then? What a stupid response.

17. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Hey, I didn't make the design decisions. I prefer solid roofs myself.

• Like x 2
  18. Future3Driver

Future3Driver Member

Yes, I am disappointed with the glass roof design also.

• Like x 2
  19. Seesaw

Seesaw Member

In one of the drive videos I believe the Tesla staffer said there are three roof options - metal, or fixed glass, or retractable glass (panoramic sunroof).

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 2
  20. davidc18

davidc18 Active Member

I have always wished the S had a non opening pano roof option. We love the extra headroom and the look, but never really open the pano roof. Solid glass would be quieter I'd think.