Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those concerned about heat/sun don't worry. I live in Phoenix, and have the Pano roof. I RARELY open it....but it's very nice visually and does provide more head room (a couple inches in the S anyway) so other than the extra expense of it breaking (which insurance will cover) there is no downside. It is NOT any hotter. I'm a pasty white guy who avoids the sun..and I would never go hard top. Don't compare your experiences in other cars, the Tesla Glass is much better. Go try it in a model S before you cancel your orders.....

Glass roof LOOKS amazing, but in Arizona, especially in the summer, not sure how the sun will feel through it and if it will be bothersome. I think Tesla will ultimately address this concern either with an option not to have the full glass roof, or reassurances that it will block out enough heat where it won't bother the driver and passengers on 120 degree days.

For those concerned about heat/sun don't worry. I live in Phoenix, and have the Pano roof. I RARELY open it....but it's very nice visually and does provide more head room (a couple inches in the S anyway) so other than the extra expense of it breaking (which insurance will cover) there is no downside. It is NOT any hotter. I'm a pasty white guy who avoids the sun..and I would never go hard top. Don't compare your experiences in other cars, the Tesla Glass is much better. Go try it in a model S before you cancel your orders.....
As he lays in the sun... ;)

Glass roof LOOKS amazing, but in Arizona, especially in the summer, not sure how the sun will feel through it and if it will be bothersome. I think Tesla will ultimately address this concern either with an option not to have the full glass roof, or reassurances that it will block out enough heat where it won't bother the driver and passengers on 120 degree days.
There are already plenty of Model S owners with Pano Roofs and Model X owners with the Pano windscreen in Arizona that haven't reported problems that I wouldn't worry about it. I have Pano Roof on my S and I've never felt that it was too hot due to sunlight. I live in a pretty temperate climate but it doesn't get up over 100 degrees in my town during the summer and it's never bothered me.

would be hard to keep an all glass roof clean all the time and i don't look forward to cleaning snow off an all glass roof

I'm definitely buying the car but I'm not 100% sold on the roof idea. I'm interested in seeing the metal version.

Why is cleaning snow off a glass roof worse than cleaning it off a metal roof? I live in Boston and routinely clean snow off of metal roofs, glass windshields, glass rear windshields, glass windows, and haven't had the thought before that cleaning the glass is worse than cleaning the metal.

That said... one might fantasize about an all-glass roof with embedded heating elements as part of the Tesla cold weather package. Turn the car on from inside the house 15 minutes early, come out to a car where all the snow has melted off.

Alan

Why is cleaning snow off a glass roof worse than cleaning it off a metal roof? I live in Boston and routinely clean snow off of metal roofs, glass windshields, glass rear windshields, glass windows, and haven't had the thought before that cleaning the glass is worse than cleaning the metal.
It's probably easier to clean off the glass than painted surfaces - you can scrape without fear of scratching the paint.

I suspect that's referring to the section over the *front* seats, however. I doubt the back-seat glass roof (aka rear window) is optional.

Good point, that seems likely given the rear design. As long as there's a sunroof option, I'm happy. That, and I'll need to look more closely at insurance coverage in case of roof damage. If I didn't live where rocks can and do fall off roadside cliffs onto the road/car roofs, I'd be less interested in repair implications.

One thing for sure, that open cabin will offer amazing views in the mountains.

Yes, I am disappointed with the glass roof design also.

I think it's the future. Many are uncomfortable with things new and different. When the Prius first came out, EVERYone agreed it was ugly, too small, weak. Now they are common. And you still have people who would rather drive a Lincoln.

I personally will wait and see. I think I will like it better as time goes on.

I've heard during one of the test drives that the glass is multi- layered. There may be a pocket of air between the panels to give some insulation.

It's mid layer is plastic, which is also insulating, maybe better than a "pocket of air". Metal roofs also need insulation, don't they! There maybe some form of panel coming as an option. But in CA, you certainly don't need it.

Despite my reservations about glass roofs and sunroofs and living in hot climates (Texas and California High Desert), I am going to jump all in for the Pano. Even if it is totally impractical for my usage.

I have had sunroofs on several cars up until now and I always kept the roof closed and the shade pulled for 95% of my driving. It was always too hot with the sun shining down on my head to leave even uncovered. However, it is nice to be able to vent a sunroof while the car is parked in a hot parking lot.

I am going to trust the whole UV coating claim thing and go out on a limb and jump in for the full up pano. I want to be able to open the roof if I get glass, so I will take the trade off of possible mechanisms failures, noise, leaks, etc. If it ends up being too hot, I guess I will put an aggressive tint on it and call it a lesson learned, LOL.

Well, I talked to my wife and despite waiting a decade for an affordable Tesla, the glass roof is definitely a no-go. There wasn't anything in Musk's presentation or any press release to make me think it's an option. Someone mentioned that it was, but nothing I've been able to find says so. Oh, well. Maybe by 2018 there will be a 5-door with a real roof.