Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glass roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nonetheless, Model S pano roof is tinted from the factory for this very reason, and I suspect model 3 glass roof options will be as well. I hope more S drivers chime in here... I'll reiterate that I never feel hot while driving my pano-equipped S... while I do get hot through (untainted) sunroof in my X1.

Cool - I watched many clips, but missed this quick mention of metal roof. That will be MY selection. Thanks for the link. BTW - are the prototype drivers at the Reveal AUTHORIZED to make such claims? are they simple booth babes or Tesla studs?

Most, all?, of the drivers were actual engineers that are designing the Model 3. (And it seemed to me that they were all following a script pretty closely.)

There were only two cars, I don't know how many drivers there were.

I was told that the Pano roof had better heat rejection than the metal roof - important for Arizonans.

I'm actually interested to know why some think a glass roof would be colder in the winter time compared to a normal metal roof? I have some thoughts on R values and how differential rates of temperature changes interact, but can someone explain this to me from a much more informed physics standpoint, why would a glass roof be colder?

- K

I'm actually interested to know why some think a glass roof would be colder in the winter time compared to a normal metal roof? I have some thoughts on R values and how differential rates of temperature changes interact, but can someone explain this to me from a much more informed physics standpoint, why would a glass roof be colder?

I think that bare metal would be colder than glass. However, most metal roofs include insulation between the roof and the headliner. So I think they can control it to be a much more insulative barrier than bare glass.

- K

You should check out some of Bjorn Nyland's videos on YouTube. He's from Norway and has added insulation to his pano roof on the S for the cold. Now he does have a classic model S, so it may be different now.

The pano roof on the Model S makes the interior look and feel wonderful, open and futuristic. Never noticed any heat problems with the pano roof. It is heavily tinted from the factory, and stood up to 105deg weather on my trips to Las Vegas without even noticing it. I would however, much prefer a solid (non movable) glass roof. My early production pano roof has been a constant source of trouble from unfixable squeaks and rattles to wind noise. A solid glass roof would be my choice for the 3 (and Model S for that matter) -- none of the potential problems of a roof that opens, and all of the aesthetic benefits of the glass.

Reactions: ohmman
Only the front piece will be metal (if you choose). The back piece has to be glass as it is one piece and we have to have rear visibility. This seems odd though, the rear passengers will have a sunroof (glass), but not the driver.

[Thomas Edison] Obviouisly I agree. :)

Well it would only be out of necessity for headroom. I'm trying to visualize a metal roof as that's the way I'm leaning, but it's hard.

Only the front piece will be metal (if you choose). The back piece has to be glass as it is one piece and we have to have rear visibility. This seems odd though, the rear passengers will have a sunroof (glass), but not the driver.

[Thomas Edison] Obviouisly I agree. :)

The pano roof on the Model S makes the interior look and feel wonderful, open and futuristic. Never noticed any heat problems with the pano roof. It is heavily tinted from the factory, and stood up to 105deg weather on my trips to Las Vegas without even noticing it. I would however, much prefer a solid (non movable) glass roof. My early production pano roof has been a constant source of trouble from unfixable squeaks and rattles to wind noise. A solid glass roof would be my choice for the 3 (and Model S for that matter) -- none of the potential problems of a roof that opens, and all of the aesthetic benefits of the glass.

I agree, I would also prefer a solid glass roof.

I Test drove a Model X mid day on a sunny day. It was a little too bright for me. While searching for the first production car with a windscreen like the Model X, I came across this video. Check around 1:30 for their well done sunshade. It would seem like a good solution for the Model 3:

I have a P85D with pano. Never once did I regret the decision to go with the pano roof, not even driving around Vegas in August. I had a loaner once with the solid roof, and it just reaffirmed my pano decision. If I get a Model ≡, I'm definitely going with the all-glass top.

I have always found it curious that the Model S requires the pano roof to be able to fit a roof rack. I wonder whether it will be the same for the 3.

I plan on ordering whatever it takes to be able to mount a roof rack and hoping that it is standard or not a significant upgrade. I would love if the full glass roof was standard. If it proves to be chilly in our Canadian winter, I'll do what Tesla Bjorn did with acoustic foam and sunshade. As a previous poster pointed out, I LOVE the idea of my kids having the view from their own popemobile!

I'm undecided. I think the glass/pano would look great. But I think I would go for metal roof as I like the shade to keep the sun out of my eyes other than when it's low. Not worried about the heat but actual light being too bright. However, if metal roof Reduces headroom too much I'll just go glass. Hoping I can sit in a few before ordering.... Right....

Damage to the roof glass is rare--I can only think of a couple of examples and they were because something was dropped on the roof. After 82K miles, my windshield has lots of pits from road debris, but the roof is flawless--I am going to assume this is because heavier things hit the front bumper cover, hood to windshield, while lighter items are suspending in the slipstream and never touch the roof.

The glass roof really does open up the interior of the car. If I were to get another S, would definitely get the Pano again. For our M3, not sure between all-glass and pano.
The biggest reason is because the windshield is more likely to take direct hits (regardless of the size of the object) and the roof will only take glancing hits, if any hit at all.