TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Glass roof?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Wol747, Sep 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Wol747

Wol747 Member

It appears to me as a non-owner (yet) that the S has no option of a metal roof?

I can't see any pros for a glass roof in Australian sun, and several cons. Am I too sensitive?

2. reserves

reserves Member

They discontinued the metal roof, so if it's essential you could get a CPO.

The options now are Glass Roof (standard) or Sunroof.

• Informative x 1
  3. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

Having driven it for 1 (non Australian) summer month and being severely folically challenged I have 0 negative impressions of the Glass roof. I thought about spending $150 US on the sunshade or even extra after market tinting... But the standard tint is so strong (stronger than any sunroof I have previously had) I haven't had any concerns.

Since you asked for my opinion and it is the nature of my user name to give it. Yes...you are being too sensitive but if I am being too quick to judge it is nice to know you have other affordable aftermarket options if needed .... I would give nothing a try with first though. Passengers love the glass roof.

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 2
  4. croman

croman Active Member

Best feature of my S. I have a full head of hair though but the roof is the least of my concerns with UV/heat infiltration.

5. SilkySmooth

SilkySmooth Member

Since it isn't hot all year, the glass roof pro is that it gives you a sense of spaciousness. If your circumstances require more protection, you can 1) add additional ceramic tint or 2) add a removable screen: Model S Fixed Glass Roof Sunshade or 3) both. If you can afford new, it seems there are too many improvements to consider CPO if the roof is the primary concern.

Comparing the fixed glass roof vs. the sunroof, note the all glass roof has a much thinner bulkhead on the front and side, so it is aesthetically superior.

6. kaypay

kaypay Member

As other have said, the tinting is quite strong on both the glass roof and sunroof. I never found the heat gain to be too bad.

Another important consideration in favor of the glass/sunroof options is that they both give a couple extra inches of headroom compared to the solid roof. This can be useful for taller passengers, particularly in the back seat where the roof slopes down.

I would also add that the glass roof eliminates the support that goes across the middle of the opening so the "open feeling" is that much better with the glass roof compared to the sunroof.

• Like x 2
  7. ucmndd

ucmndd Member

We’ve had one of our hottest summers on record here in interior California with ~50 days above 100F and counting. I have zero glass roof regrets.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  8. Pinot.Noir

Pinot.Noir Member

If anything the tint on the glass roof is too strong. Definitely not something you should be concerned about.

• Like x 1
  9. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

No problems with the pano (sunroof) in Houston.

10. OilSucks

OilSucks Member

I LOVE my glass roof, the only thing that I would say is a drawback of it is that back seat passengers don't really get to see out of it much. It has this weird reflective/conic effect that makes me a little dizzy when I look up....

• Informative x 1
  11. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

We have a metal roof Model S at work and I have a pano roof Model S. I really cannot tell much of a difference between the two, even on a hot day.

12. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Simply not an issue here in Sydney. I have been driving my pano roof for over 2.5 years ( since launch day), and have never noticed any heat intrusion. In fact, having driven the latest models ( as a loan car) for a week, I found the all glass roof too dark, I might just as well been metal for all the light it did not let in!!

13. Wol747

Wol747 Member

Thanks for all the replies.
    I can't help thinking though that it's a bit of a gimmick - surely it is less robust in a crash, and must add quite a weight to the car - weight is critical.

14. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

The crash structure is the same in all cars. The glass roof may weigh slightly more than the metal version, but in the grand scheme of things, it's negligible.

• Like x 1
  15. Quick2Judge

Quick2Judge Member

Hi Wol747. Have you had an opportunity to see it? I ordered mine without knowing what it was. Got it and I was really impressed. Having one giant seemless piece of glass is awesome. I would take it over any other option...including a sun roof. It used to be a several thousand dollar upgrade ... And I can see why.

16. cynix

cynix Member

Does the driver/front passenger actually get a sense of spaciousness though? I thought it only makes a difference for rear passengers.

17. Wol747

Wol747 Member

Yes, I think they have made it the default purchase. It certainly looks good but I would much prefer having metal over my head! We don't even like sunroofs - my present car has one and I can't remember the last time it was opened.

Incidentally, I thought this forum was the Australian branch, but every time I come in it seems to default to a general area, which is confusing when you get feedback about prices - the US prices are way way lower than the Oz ones even allowing for the exchange rate!

18. caltrader

caltrader Supporting Member

I live in SoCal and have no issues with my black on black 2014 S85 with pano sun roof. I do have side and back window tinted for privacy...not heat protection.
    The best feature to owning my Tesla is the ability to pre-cool the car from the Tesla app, so I rarely enter a hot car!

• Like x 1
  19. tpham07

tpham07 Member

the glass roof is so heavily tinted there is no risk of heat intrusion, well not any more than the heat you'd get through a windshield or windows.

20. GarrickS

GarrickS Member

The pano roof (with the opening sunroof) isn't directly viewable for the driver/front passenger, but you still feel the spaciousness. Solid roofs in other cars now feel slightly "closed in" and dark.

The all-glass roof is actually in your upper vision. The roof beam across the A pillars is thinner. That definitely gives that sense of spaciousness.

If the all-glass roof was available when I bought my car, I would have gotten it.

To Wol747, just get a tint on the side and rear windows and you will be fine!