Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glendo Wyoming Charging For August 21 Eclipse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVCollies

Supporting Member
Apr 3, 2016
Blue Marble
I will be traveling to Glendo from Cheyenne to see the eclipse 8/21/17 and return later that day. The round trip is 204mi and per EVTripPlanner my S85D would use 59kWh. I'm betting I won't be the only person driving I-25 that day and if I'm stuck in traffic it would be great to have some charging in Glendo as a safety factor. And, if I can charge in Glendo, I won't need to charge at the Cheyenne Supercharger before driving home to Greeley, CO.

There are no chargers listed in PlugShare in Glendo. I called a camping site to reserve a space with a hook up just to charge the car but they are $200/night with a 4 night minimum. She chuckled when I asked about letting me plug in somewhere. The eclipse has imprinted $ signs on the local business owners.

My plan will be to drive the camping sites upon arrival to find one with an open bay to rent for the day but seek everyone's wisdom.

I've found the eclipse is driving lots of small town biz owners to profiteer off of out of towners. I'm travelling for the eclipse to downstate IL and having a rough time as well. Good luck to you. Try plugshare and create an account and see if a local Tesla owner exists. They usually don't mind you mooching for a while if they are not charging themselves.

... if I'm stuck in traffic it would be great to have some charging in Glendo as a safety factor.

I don't quite understand this statement. If you're stuck in traffic then you're driving slower and will have a longer range. It'll be summer so you may be running the A/C -- but not the heater -- so you'll still have better range. Remember, you're not losing energy by "idling".

I will be traveling to Glendo from Cheyenne to see the eclipse 8/21/17 and return later that day. The round trip is 204mi and per EVTripPlanner my S85D would use 59kWh. I'm betting I won't be the only person driving I-25 that day and if I'm stuck in traffic it would be great to have some charging in Glendo as a safety factor. And, if I can charge in Glendo, I won't need to charge at the Cheyenne Supercharger before driving home to Greeley, CO.

There are no chargers listed in PlugShare in Glendo. I called a camping site to reserve a space with a hook up just to charge the car but they are $200/night with a 4 night minimum. She chuckled when I asked about letting me plug in somewhere. The eclipse has imprinted $ signs on the local business owners.

My plan will be to drive the camping sites upon arrival to find one with an open bay to rent for the day but seek everyone's wisdom.

You don't need to camp, just park and charge. I would look for someone who is camping, but not using the full electric hookups. I have camped and had tent campers around me who were just using the 120v outlet, at most. Also, most travel trailers only use 30 amp TT-30 outlets. If you are in an area of the park that has both 50a and 30a hookups, you might be able to mooch in on their 14-50 outlet for a bit. A small token of appreciation will make everyone happy. Things with corks or in groups of six are best.

Another option is to just drive more slowly on the way there, and see how much reserve you have at your half-way point. You may not even need to worry about it.

One thing you DO need to worry about is the wind in that area. Pay attention! It can make a big difference in your range.

EDIT: checked and you will have a 1400 ft rise in elevation on your return trip -- be sure to take that into account!

Last edited: