Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Glenwood Springs, CO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to leave the cones these people moved to the top of their hood but didn't want to get in trouble..

Attachments

• IMG_2090.jpg
    IMG_2090.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 116
Place it on the roof like a dunce hat. :)
Have you seen those Russian videos where they slap giant stickers on cars which drive on bike paths and sidewalks? Someone could some up with a giant sticker for ICE vehicle windshields. It wouldn't cause any permanent damage but could cause some embarrassment and would take some time to remove. They should be self-destructing, of course, to prolong the pain of removing them. :cool:

• Love
Reactions: Don TLR
this is horrible to see..

eventually Tesla owners will ignore this location, it will go unused and Tesla will see it as a "not viable" location as it is wasting electricity and rent space, then relocate it to a more usable location. the hotel would have missed out on a good relationship with Tesla

i don't see why the tow company can't pass the expense to the offending vehicle. why would they charge the hotel? tow the car, charge the owner.

also, why can't the police issue tickets? if that was a handicap or red curb zone, even if it's on a private property, they still have authority to do something about it. the stalls are clearly marked for charging, and their cars ain't charging.

at the very least, if you have been ICE'd at this location, I would post your experience on yelp and trip advisor with plenty of pictures so that the hotel will be called out on their inactions and future travelers with Teslas will ignore their business.

Last edited:
eventually Tesla owners will ignore this location,
Tough to do, due to the big elevation changes in the area. This isn't CA where there are Superchargers every 10 miles :)

also, why can't the police issue tickets? if that was a handicap...
Because it's not a handicap spot. No laws in CO to protect EV charging locations.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Tough to do, due to the big elevation changes in the area. This isn't CA where there are Superchargers every 10 miles :)

Because it's not a handicap spot. No laws in CO to protect EV charging locations.
Yes to both of these. While not impossible, pretty much no one is going to drive Grand Junction to Silverthorne without a top of in Glenwood Springs. It would require a 100 battery, charging to near full and careful driving and it would be particularly hard in the colder months (which is most of the year here).

And while I understand the frustration, no hotel is going to want to tow their paying guests. It just isn't realistic to expect any hotel to do that for such a minor infraction. Whether or not the cops can write tickets depends on local laws. Ticketing is a much better option from an enforcement standpoint as it gets the message across without completely ruining someone's vacation.

Reactions: sdoorex
well....

then i guess travel up there at your own risk. if they are not hospitable to EVs, either drive an ICE or ignore that location (which does not seem to be an option). last thing i would want to do is check the charging app and it says there are available stalls (because no one is plugged in) and you get there and they are all occupied by trucks. this is why i recommend writing about it on social media review sites to warn others.

This drives me nuts. We pay $50 extra to register EV's in Colorado, and have to put the EV sticker on our windshield, but the state won't do anything to protect EV charging spots.

Hopefully our new Governor will make some changes.

This drives me nuts. We pay $50 extra to register EV's in Colorado, and have to put the EV sticker on our windshield, but the state won't do anything to protect EV charging spots.

Hopefully our new Governor will make some changes.

I wrote to Conservation Colorado about this idea. Making it illegal to park in an EV spot. It would make Colorado super cool if they did it. Send Erin a message asking for it too. [email protected]

Yes to both of these. While not impossible, pretty much no one is going to drive Grand Junction to Silverthorne without a top of in Glenwood Springs. It would require a 100 battery, charging to near full and careful driving and it would be particularly hard in the colder months (which is most of the year here).

And while I understand the frustration, no hotel is going to want to tow their paying guests. It just isn't realistic to expect any hotel to do that for such a minor infraction. Whether or not the cops can write tickets depends on local laws. Ticketing is a much better option from an enforcement standpoint as it gets the message across without completely ruining someone's vacation.

I have driven the Grand Junction to Silverthorne cannonball run in my P85D. I was at 1% charge at the top of Vail Pass and grateful for regenerative braking on the way down into Silverthorne. This was in the early fall. I now have a 100D X and it would be an easier direct drive.

Every time I've been in Glenwood there have been open spots. The hotel always lets me drink tea and we even watched some of the movie Footloose in the lobby on Monday as we charged on our way back from Tennessee Pass. Oh, and I've used their car wash station in the summer too! ;)

While not impossible, pretty much no one is going to drive Grand Junction to Silverthorne without a top of in Glenwood Springs. It would require a 100 battery, charging to near full and careful driving and it would be particularly hard in the colder months (which is most of the year here).
I'm catching up on some older threads, and it was amazing to come across this. That is a very descriptive account, and it is exactly what I did in February 2018 below freezing temperatures on my 5,332 mile road trip, but I don't have a 100 kWh. It certainly wasn't my intention to try to skip Glenwood Springs. The piece of $#it "Beta Trip Planner" gave me terrible advice, and yes, it had me charge to 100% and showed an arrival at 7%. I looked on the map to see if there was anything in between Grand Junction and Silverthorne, and it appeared not. (I had not discovered yet that it hides the Superchargers it doesn't want you to use.) So yeah, I had to go about 15 mph under the speed limit with pretty low heat to barely make it to Silverthorne in my S85.

I have driven the Grand Junction to Silverthorne cannonball run in my P85D.
Yeah--right on! The Few...The Proud...The Deceived by the Trip Planner

I'm catching up on some older threads, and it was amazing to come across this. That is a very descriptive account, and it is exactly what I did in February 2018 below freezing temperatures on my 5,332 mile road trip, but I don't have a 100 kWh. It certainly wasn't my intention to try to skip Glenwood Springs. The piece of $#it "Beta Trip Planner" gave me terrible advice, and yes, it had me charge to 100% and showed an arrival at 7%. I looked on the map to see if there was anything in between Grand Junction and Silverthorne, and it appeared not. (I had not discovered yet that it hides the Superchargers it doesn't want you to use.) So yeah, I had to go about 15 mph under the speed limit with pretty low heat to barely make it to Silverthorne in my S85.

Yeah--right on! The Few...The Proud...The Deceived by the Trip Planner
I actually am surprised how accurate the trip planner (beta!) seems to be, but the one thing it does not account for at all is weather, so if it's below freezing, there is precip on the roadway, and/or you are facing a head wind, look out!

I will say that I'm surprised that they haven't figured out how to incorporate the car's thermometer into the Trip Planner though. Doesn't seem like that should be tough. Wind and absolute barometric pressure are a different story however.

Reactions: brd7
1. The correct exit for this is the *next one* to the west on I-70. If you take the Glenwood exit you must go thru all kinds of distance & turns etc.

2. Hotel should provide an 8 ft length of 4x4 so you can more easily drive up over the curb to charge your Tesla. Or bring your own shorties with you!

3. On weekends management could park their OWN CARS at the stalls so if need be they could help out a Tesla user. This would avoid them having to tow an offending customer, which they have the right to do.

4. There is unlimited parking on the west side of the hotel, but this is not readily visible to the visitor.
--

I actually am surprised how accurate the trip planner (beta!) seems to be, but the one thing it does not account for at all is weather, so if it's below freezing, there is precip on the roadway, and/or you are facing a head wind, look out!
Even in good weather, though, they should have that parameter coded into the algorithm that it should never recommend a charging plan that has a single digit arrival %. That's way too little margin for the unexpected.