Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glenwood Springs to Silverthorne pulling trailer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have experience with this route using a MX 90D pulling a trailer?

Based on EVTripPlanner it's 94 actual miles using 232 rated miles and 71kWh (based on 590Wh/mi for vehicle/trailer on flat terrain). That leaves an approximately 25 mile rated range reserve or an actual range reserve of 10 miles. Which is cutting it a little close. Wondering if I should stop at Vail and "top off" with one of the J1772 or HPWC in Vail?

I've never done it but looking at the elevation from one site you are going downhill a lot so it seems like you would be fine. Did you verify the elevation changes as well?

[update]Sorry my elevation below is backward. Silverthorne to Glenwood Springs [/update]

BEjgbVV.jpg

Last edited:
I've never done it but looking at the elevation from one site you are going downhill a lot so it seems like you would be fine. Did you verify the elevation changes as well?

From EVTripPlanner Glenwood Springs to Silverthorne
elevation.jpg
As comparison this is from Silverthorne (near Vail/Breckenridge) to Denver. A definite downhill from my memories of driving from Vail to Denver.
elev2.jpg

As a point of reference, I consumed 36.0 kWh climbing 5000 feet over 23.8 miles.

Going an additional 70 miles at your 590Wh/mi would be 41.3kWh, totaling about 77-78kWh.

Note that I went slowly on my route as it had speed limits in the 35-45 mph range. You may have a different plan.

• Informative
Reactions: idoco
I'm mobile right now but what is the mileage and elevation gain to the crest? That's the only part that needs to concern you.

Via EV trip planner (using vehicle configured for 590 Wh/mi on flat ground)
Glennwood Springs SC to Silverthorne SC
time1:34
actual miles 94
rated miles 233
kWh used 70.9
avg Wh/mi 764
up feet 13842
down feet 10909
net elev change 2933

As a point of reference, I consumed 36.0 kWh climbing 5000 feet over 23.8 miles.
Very helpful. Thanks.

Your average consumption appears to be ~1500kWh/mi on an average 4% grade.
Did find one post from @jackbowers where average consumption was ~800kWh/mi on an average 1.5% grade.

(78 actual miles, 190 rated miles, ~63kWh, 5600 feet climb)
Camping Trailer Selection for Model X

So my climb is an average 0.6% grade. Base on Jack's data of 78 miles on a 1.5% grade, 94 miles on a .6% grade seems reasonable.

I found a few more of Jack's trip posts with his Bowlus. Using his elevation gains and rated mileage tests, along with his flat numbers, I configured a custom vehicle in EVTripPlanner. This seems to approximate his numbers under multiple scenarios.

Using the new model I get a flat consumption of ~520Wh/mi. Little more than Jack's 475 but works very nicely as base for elevation changes.

New #'s:
Distance 93.8 miles
Total Energy Used 63.6 kWh
Rated miles 191
Average Efficiency 678 Wh/mile
Net Elevation Change 2932 feet

So that seems better with a greater margin for weather conditions.

Thanks everyone who contributed to the discussion.

Reactions: scottf200
Anyone have experience with this route using a MX 90D pulling a trailer?

Based on EVTripPlanner it's 94 actual miles using 232 rated miles and 71kWh (based on 590Wh/mi for vehicle/trailer on flat terrain). That leaves an approximately 25 mile rated range reserve or an actual range reserve of 10 miles. Which is cutting it a little close. Wondering if I should stop at Vail and "top off" with one of the J1772 or HPWC in Vail?

You can probably play this by ear. Vail Pass is your big eater; if you reach Vail (which going East will be before the big climb) with >= expected you should be fine. It's all about making it to the top of Vail Pass, the 20 or so miles (as memory serves) after that will be a net gain for you.

• Informative
Reactions: idoco
You’re going to make me get a Bowlus, aren’t you?
I thought you gave @jackbowers that honor here Test Report: Towing the Bowlus Road Chief and here Test Report: Towing the Bowlus Road Chief :cool:

On the serious side I know you went by Henderson at some point and talked to Helena. You should see if they have a "loaner" model to try out for the weekend.

Besides $$$ I know you mentioned the other big thing for you was the family of four issue. We have been traveling with a family of five, if you consider the three poodles (50-60 lbs each) as children. I would call it comfortable, but "cozy".

Other than sleeping and meals we're generally not actually in the camper. The few times we've been inside for extended periods (due to weather) have been fine.

I know you are on the AS forums and this specific thread Bowlus Road Chief - Page 2 - Airstream Forums. The post by JDS kinda sold us on Bowlus as being a viable alternative to an AS, even though smaller than the AS.

And remember...it's only money! Plus if it didn't work out I'm sure you could find a buyer easily and not lose much in the way of $.