Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glitch with Folding mirrors at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Recently, my MCU1 was replaced, and not too long after that I was parking the car when I was prompted to ask if I wanted the outside mirrors to be folded at this location. I think I had probably folded them manually.

I have found, however, that the car folds them prematurely, before I have backed into my parking space. Yes, I can park with the back-up camera, but it is more difficult in rain or darkness, so I decided to turn off the location-based automatic folding feature. I also had the setting turned on for automatic folding after the car is parked.

The problem is, I cannot find a setting where the automatic folding by location can be turned off. I turned off the auto-fold when parked feature, but the mirrors still fold as i approach my parking space. I looked in the user manual, which directed me to an entry at "Controls > Vehicle > Always Fold Mirrors at this Location."

That location does not exits -- there is no such entry on my screen.

I was using the latest manual from the MyTesla page, not the manual in the car, which does not display any text, only the table of contents. So I suppose it is possible there are newer instructions in the online manual, but i cannot see them.

Can anyone tell me a way to turn off auto folding at my location?

Thanks!

PS: I mentioned the MCU replacement, but that may be a red herring. This may be a new software feature. I have had the car for 5 years, and do not recall ever seeing or reading about the auto-fold by location before. But since it is in a recent manual, I may have been missing it for some time....

From User Whitmarsh in UK on this forum: "I cancelled my location. I stopped at the location and tapped the X at the end of 'Always fold mirrors at this location'. It's the same as for the suspension." Also, another member said the X was not visible until he changed the language to English.

If this doesn't work, at the location after they have folded and you are stopped, try manually unfolding the mirrors and then see if you can access "Controls > Vehicle > Always Fold Mirrors at this Location." Remove the X. Perhaps you will get prompted again when they are unfolded. Then try folding them manually again at the location. Just some things to try.

Reactions: David29
From User Whitmarsh in UK on this forum: "I cancelled my location. I stopped at the location and tapped the X at the end of 'Always fold mirrors at this location'. It's the same as for the suspension." Also, another member said the X was not visible until he changed the language to English.

If this doesn't work, at the location after they have folded and you are stopped, try manually unfolding the mirrors and then see if you can access "Controls > Vehicle > Always Fold Mirrors at this Location." Remove the X. Perhaps you will get prompted again when they are unfolded. Then try folding them manually again at the location. Just some things to try.

I tried this, sort of. When I came home and the mirrors folded, I immediately opened the Controls screen, but there is no text about folding at this location, nor does such text appear if I open the mirrors again. As I recall, the text looked like a hyperlink -- it was not a permanent line of text with a box. If you wanted to accept the option, you clicked on the hyperlink and then it disappeared after making the selection.

The image shows the area of the screen, and you can see there is no text or box related to this function. But my mirrors still fold each time i came to my parking lot.

IMG_20200911_161853.jpg

This is a strange issue, but I think I have found a solution. All of this information is stored in your Driver Profile, including location aware suspension settings. I noticed this when I selected Auto-Fold, driver-profile flashed as it stored this setting. So, you can add a new profile for yourself with a different label. It will create a new profile without all the auto location settings, or anything other than the basic settings on the car now when you save the new profile. This new profile then saves settings choices you add as you drive. You can test this before you delete your current primary profile so you can revert if things don't work out, but if you are happy with the newly created profile, you can just delete your old profile and then create it again so you have the same profile name as now, if you want.

This is a strange issue, but I think I have found a solution. All of this information is stored in your Driver Profile, including location aware suspension settings. I noticed this when I selected Auto-Fold, driver-profile flashed as it stored this setting. So, you can add a new profile for yourself with a different label. It will create a new profile without all the auto location settings, or anything other than the basic settings on the car now when you save the new profile. This new profile then saves settings choices you add as you drive. You can test this before you delete your current primary profile so you can revert if things don't work out, but if you are happy with the newly created profile, you can just delete your old profile and then create it again so you have the same profile name as now, if you want.

I followed your advice and created a new profile, and it worked!

Actually, the pop-up message asking me if I wanted to have the mirrors fold automatically did not appear, probably because I created the profile in my parking space without leaving and returning. My guess is that it would have appeared if I left and came back.

But after I created the profile and saved it, I paged through all the settings to be sure the new profile captured everything. Then I switched back to my previous profile, to see if I could find the mirror setting, and I did. It was on the Quick Settings page, not on the page shown above where the other mirror settings are. So I x'd it off in the old profile, and the text disappeared. So I think I could switch back to my old profile and be Okay.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm having the same problem. My mirrors fold in before I pull into my garage and will not auto unfold until I'm out on the street. Annoying. I have searched the settings and I have made a new driver profile. No dice. Any ideas?

I found out how to to fix this. Park in the location where it is folding the mirrors. Unfold and the then fold the mirrors using the quick controls. Under the unfold mirror button there is a box that says "Save Location" Press the box. Problem solved. Imo Tesla needs to hire some better UI designers. The new interface is not very good.