Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glitchy Audio - all audio sources

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For well over 60 days, I’ve been living with incredibly glitchy audio in my 2018 Model S75D (Sep 2018 prod.). I’ve searched all the Tesla forums, and I’m surprised that I can’t find any threads describing this same audio behavior. I’ve found many threads on audio “popping”, but the audio recordings in those threads is different.

I’ve included a link to a MP4 recording that I captured this morning. But, if that cannot be accessed for some reason, my best description of the issue is like a really bad 3.5mm connection. It’s a constant “flickering” on/off of the audio. And, this is with ANY audio source, including FM radio, Slacker streaming, Bluetooth, and even the proximity sensor alerts. So, it seems to me to be a bad wire or connection somewhere.

I’m posting here to ask if anyone has experienced anything like this in their Tesla (any model).

I have a service appointment for 8/7, so hope to get a thorough assessment then. Just checking here out of curiosity. I can’t imagine I’m the only one who has experienced this.

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Last edited:
If you have an MCU/1, this is normal behavior because MCU/1 has reached EOL in terms of performance. There will be a "paid" retrofit to MCU/2 one day, so you can pay out of pocket to get the new and improve MCU/2 which is so much quicker.

If you have an MCU/2 already, then this is clearly a problem, that service should be able to diagnose and remediate for you hopefully.

MCU/1 is using technology from 2012, so it's not able to run efficiency with the latest TeslaOS v9.0, which is why Tesla sells MCU/2 with all new vehicles manufactured in mid 2018 onwards. They won't upgrade you from MCU/1 to MCU/2 under warranty as it's a user purchasable upgrade once it becomes available.

we have no idea what the price will be, but if you do replace an MCU/1 outside of the warranty, it's around $2400 approximately.

MCU1 Replacement Costs.PNG

If you have an MCU/1, this is normal behavior because MCU/1 has reached EOL in terms of performance. There will be a "paid" retrofit to MCU/2 one day, so you can pay out of pocket to get the new and improve MCU/2 which is so much quicker.

If you have an MCU/2 already, then this is clearly a problem, that service should be able to diagnose and remediate for you hopefully.

MCU/1 is using technology from 2012, so it's not able to run efficiency with the latest TeslaOS v9.0, which is why Tesla sells MCU/2 with all new vehicles manufactured in mid 2018 onwards. They won't upgrade you from MCU/1 to MCU/2 under warranty as it's a user purchasable upgrade once it becomes available.

we have no idea what the price will be, but if you do replace an MCU/1 outside of the warranty, it's around $2400 approximately.

View attachment 436894

Thanks for the response.

I’m pretty sure Sep 2018 production date (my S75D) came with MCU/2.

Also, I would find it very odd that my vehicle’s audio performed fine for the first 6-8 months of ownership, and then started this audio glitching for the last 2 months. To me, that points more to a connection that eventually got loose.

MCU1 may be EOL/chopped liver, but I assure you, we don't live with bad audio quality.

Same type of audio issues on mine. Once and awhile all audio starts to click periodically. It also goes silent or changes from Sirius to random FM station. I think it’s a software issue. Reboot temporarily fixes the problems.

OP here - can someone please let me know if they can hear the audio I linked in my OP? I’m assuming it is accessible to anyone who has my Google Drive link (in the OP). But, maybe not...

I have been able to hear your audio from Google drive after you shared it with me, but my problem is different. Mine is more like dropped packages of data when listening to Spotify, but doesn't happen with FM radio.

I have been able to hear your audio from Google drive after you shared it with me, but my problem is different. Mine is more like dropped packages of data when listening to Spotify, but doesn't happen with FM radio.

Thanks. Yea, most comments I’ve read seem to be different issues. I’m dying to know if others are having this same audio behavior...no reason to believe it would be isolated to my vehicle.

Since you listened to my recording, I’m sure you can imagine my frustration. What I have going on renders the entire audio system as useless. I have had to completely stop listening to any audio while driving. I’m hoping the SC can fix this at my appointment on Wed. Or, at least diagnose the issue and formulate a plan to fix it.

Same type of audio issues on mine. Once and awhile all audio starts to click periodically. It also goes silent or changes from Sirius to random FM station. I think it’s a software issue. Reboot temporarily fixes the problems.

This sounds like a different issue. If you listen to my recording in the OP you’ll see exactly what I’m experiencing. I literally can’t even use the car’s audio any more. Frustrating to say the least.

For well over 60 days, I’ve been living with incredibly glitchy audio in my 2018 Model S75D (Sep 2018 prod.). I’ve searched all the Tesla forums, and I’m surprised that I can’t find any threads describing this same audio behavior. I’ve found many threads on audio “popping”, but the audio recordings in those threads is different.

I’ve included a link to a MP4 recording that I captured this morning. But, if that cannot be accessed for some reason, my best description of the issue is like a really bad 3.5mm connection. It’s a constant “flickering” on/off of the audio. And, this is with ANY audio source, including FM radio, Slacker streaming, Bluetooth, and even the proximity sensor alerts. So, it seems to me to be a bad wire or connection somewhere.

I’m posting here to ask if anyone has experienced anything like this in their Tesla (any model).

I have a service appointment for 8/7, so hope to get a thorough assessment then. Just checking here out of curiosity. I can’t imagine I’m the only one who has experienced this.

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

I just purchased a Model S and it is doing the same exact thing.