Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glitchy/skipping/stuttering slacker streaming music anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have anyone with MCU1 experience lagging with everything that you can function on the screen? Even lags when I disengage AP which I would think is a big problem. If I turn AP off it shouldn't take .5-6secs. Yes when I put my foot on the brake it took up to 6 secs. to disengage. Not acceptable.

With my previous MCU1 car, switching all my music to MP3 instead of a mix of MP3 and MP4 improved things such as the "Loading error" messages and other weirdness. My theory is their MP4 decoder is buggy.

To clarify, "MP4" is not an audio format. It is a container format, which means it is a specification for a file that can contain audio and/or video of a variety of formats. Saying you had music that was "MP4" doesn't indicate the format of the audio inside it. An MP4 could contain MP3 audio, or AAC audio, or a variety of other formats. A typical consumer format is AAC audio inside an MP4 container.

To clarify, "MP4" is not an audio format. It is a container format, which means it is a specification for a file that can contain audio and/or video of a variety of formats. Saying you had music that was "MP4" doesn't indicate the format of the audio inside it. An MP4 could contain MP3 audio, or AAC audio, or a variety of other formats. A typical consumer format is AAC audio inside an MP4 container.

You are of course correct (and I work in the industry so I should have use correct terms, but instead used the vernacular based on file extensions people have used). To be clear, I switched to using MPEG-1 Layer 3 Audio Codec (often called MP3) instead of AAC (Advanced Audio Codec). It didn't eliminate Loading Errors, but it did seem to reduce them. I'm using the same USB drive in my new MCU2 car and haven't seen any issues, but it's too early to say for sure.

Did your old MCU1 have LTE or was it 3G? I've heard of people who upgraded to LTE on their MCU1 have had less skipping / stuttering.

I have MCU1 and LTE and have stutter with Spotify in my TMS100D AP2.5.
I just had a loaner car TMS90D with MCU1 and 3G and AP1 for one week.

No matter what settings I use, I have not experienced stutter at all - even with same settings as in my own car - except for one important thing - I am not using my Premium Spotify account in the loaner car..

I am wondering if the explanation for the stutter is
1) higher bitrate with Premium account
2) higher bitrate with LTE
3) to much CPU or RAM usage with AP2.5
Combined with slow CPU

Does anyone know, whether Spotify in a Tesla, gets better bitrate with Premium account?

I have MCU1 and LTE and have stutter with Spotify in my TMS100D AP2.5.
I just had a loaner car TMS90D with MCU1 and 3G and AP1 for one week.

No matter what settings I use, I have not experienced stutter at all - even with same settings as in my own car - except for one important thing - I am not using my Premium Spotify account in the loaner car..

I am wondering if the explanation for the stutter is
1) higher bitrate with Premium account
2) higher bitrate with LTE
3) to much CPU or RAM usage with AP2.5
Combined with slow CPU

Does anyone know, whether Spotify in a Tesla, gets better bitrate with Premium account?

Interesting theory about the higher bitrate. I have premium Slacker and set it for the higher quality. I'll try lowering it to see if it helps.

Would you consider logging into your premium account in the loaner?

Interesting theory about the higher bitrate. I have premium Slacker and set it for the higher quality. I'll try lowering it to see if it helps.

Would you consider logging into your premium account in the loaner?

I am now logged in with my Premium Spotify account, on the loaner car, and not a single stutter.
Only differences between my own car and the loaner should be AP2.5 vs AP1 and 4G vs 3G.

Unless its the 4G modem that has a faulty driver or provides higher Spotify bitrate, unfortunately we are back to blaming advanced AP features, including dashcam. Only I have not seen any difference with or without dashcam activated in my car..

Does anyone have MCU1 with AP1 AND upgraded to LTE and experience Spotify stutter?

I can confirm that 28.3 and later *actually* attempt to improve this. The increased the priority of the audio and maps routing server processes by reducing the nice level from 0, which most things on the system run at to -5 and -10 respectively:
Code:
# ps ax -o ni,cmd --sort=ni
 NI CMD
-10 /usr/tesla/UI/bin/QtCar -graphicssystem raster --touch evdev,autorange,rotate:90,invertX --cid --ic 192.168.90.101 --gw 192.168.90.102 --udp :20101 --udphp :31415 --ip 192.168.90.100 --ap
-10 /usr/tesla/UI/bin/QtCarTMServer --gw 192.168.90.102 --udphp :31415
 -5 /usr/tesla/UI/bin/QtCarAudiod --gw 192.168.90.102 --rate 44100 --awb /etc/models.awb
 -5 /usr/tesla/UI/bin/NuanceServer --gw 192.168.90.102 --udphp :31415
 -5 /usr/tesla/UI/bin/SpotifyServer --gw 192.168.90.102
 -5 /usr/tesla/UI/bin/QtCarMediaServerV2 --gw 192.168.90.102

Still very clear that the MCU1 system is underpowered for the v9 code they're trying to run on it, but at least the audio stuff seems to work much better now. I haven't had any stuttering since updating so far.