Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glitchy/skipping/stuttering slacker streaming music anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could probably put up with every 10-20 minutes.
But mine stutters at least 3-4 times during a single song! Depend on cellular signal strength (I think).
I noticed if I put music on the instrument cluster I can see it load a song. I think it used to buffer it and you could see the song load. And now I don’t think it does that. Just starts playing without me seeing the buffering data fill in.
Happens fast at beginning of song so I’m not sure about this.
Sigh

Last edited:
I’ve avoid the skipping issue but apparently have a different one where I get no audio at all regardless of source though the display is working fine and tuning correctly. Started in the last week or so and happens a few times a week requiring a reset to resolve. Strange

My dashcam (V9) stopped working, car won’t recognize the USB. I’ve given up hope on it for now. But the good side is that I’ve had ZERO Slacker skips since. Silver lining.

Well I received 42.2 last night and installed before bed. I woke up this AM to dashcam not working (camera icon with x) and stuttering Slacker continued -- once every 10-20 min or so. I removed the camera thumb drive and still experienced a stutter. At this point, I'm not sure if we can correlate dash cam recording to stuttering. What was odd was that when I checked the thumb drive, I found about 5 min of video starting around 4:30AM. The FW install was complete at 10 PM, and somehow the car woke up on its own, recorded video and crashed the thumb drive.

Reactions: jlarmstr
I’ve seen way too many owners with this problem who arent even using a USB at all.
I’m confident now it is unrelated. I pulled mine for a couple days to test and nothing changed. I tried testing speed of downloading with browser on FAST.com. But I couldn’t even get any page at all to load. Not google not Tesla not even Fast.
So I tried yet another Full(hard reboot) and then tried FAST.com again.
This time it loaded and on WiFi gave a modest 7.1 mb downspeed.
So went for a drive and half hour later.
Not a single glitch or stutter in the audio. (Dashcam TeslaCam working all along)

Not sure how for me but my browser was stuck in some kind of never ending battle to load bad or corrupt pages and would t give up.
I hate that I can’t “force quit” or stop and clear the cache and history.
For now I will stop F ing with the browser all together.

I have the same same music streaming problem. 2.5 AP with fw 42.2. I also noticed that I cannot turn off the dash cam by touching the icon for 2 seconds. It would turn off and then a few seconds later, turn back on. I was able to turn it off in fw 39.6. Anyone with a similar issue?

I'm having the same stuttering/skipping problem with the Slacker streaming music since upgrading to V9 (2017, AP 2.5, 42.2 with USB plugged in for dashcam). The stuttering occurs at least 4 or 5 times each song. However, I tested while at home and connected to WiFi and there was no stuttering. When on LTE I get the stuttering regardless of whether I have 1 bar or 4 bars for the connection.

I’ve now twice had both HD Radio and SXM stop working with spinner stuck, but Slacker and Tunein continue to function. Did a thumbwheel reboot but while driving, so wasn’t a full reboot to recover. Will see if this fixes my occasional stutter issue.

Just an update. Yesterday I had glitching/skippy Slacker radio that it was SOOOO bad I had to turn it off.

I removed the dashcam USB and rebooted the MCU and now it’s flawless. Zero skips on an hour+ of driving.

I’m leaving the USB out for now.

Just an update. Yesterday I had glitching/skippy Slacker radio that it was SOOOO bad I had to turn it off.

I removed the dashcam USB and rebooted the MCU and now it’s flawless. Zero skips on an hour+ of driving.

I’m leaving the USB out for now.
I did the reboot also but I reinstalled the USB after. And it all worked perfectly for the that day and the next.
Then it slowly came back and is now doing it again.
I honestly can’t tell if it’s USB dashcam related or not.
My sense is that it’s unrelated and something has changed in the way data is being downloaded through the ATT network. Or the car is not buffering the music as it did before.
I can tell now when it’s getting bad because the browser will not even load a google home page.
As soon as I do the reboot dance. I can again load a web page on browser and the streaming music works again.
At least for a while.
Frustrating.
Only thing I can’t figure is why just a handful of us seem to be having this. . If this was a widespread issue in V9. I sure don’t hear many complaints across the boards.

I have the same problem on my September 2017 Model S 90D since v9. The skipping is worst when the MCU is busy calculating a route or auto-zooming the map during navigation. This leads me to believe the problem is with the CPU getting bogged down and the streaming process gets throttled.

My hunch is that the dash cam was only enabled on AP 2.5 because most of those cars also have MCU2 with the beefier CPU. My car is one of the odd ones with the new autopilot computer and old MCU.

I have the same problem on my September 2017 Model S 90D since v9. The skipping is worst when the MCU is busy calculating a route or auto-zooming the map during navigation. This leads me to believe the problem is with the CPU getting bogged down and the streaming process gets throttled.

My hunch is that the dash cam was only enabled on AP 2.5 because most of those cars also have MCU2 with the beefier CPU. My car is one of the odd ones with the new autopilot computer and old MCU.
I’m glad you said this. I thought I was seeing things. It just seemed that whenever I made an input on the screen or the car map zoomed or calculated something.....or anything that caused the system to “process” and work it glitched!

Only thing is it doesn’t really explain why when I do a complete hard reboot it works perfectly for about an hour or two and then goes back to its old ways. Like it’s cleared a corrupt cache or freed up some ram temporarily.
I also removed the dashcam usb but unfortunately that didn’t help my stuttering streaming music.
So I’m not sure what to think anymore. All i know is it’s making me crazy.

I read somewhere that people have cleared out the long recent destinations history in the Nav system and it cleared up all sorts of freezing and problems for them. Is it possible that would have any bearing on this? Or is that an old long since fixed concern?