Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glitchy/skipping/stuttering slacker streaming music anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get a brief stutterer and sometimes a full second of silence when listening to the streaming channels. When I listen via the Amazon music app on my phone it still happens, but not as often as when I am listening on the streaming service. It does not seem to matter how good the cell connection appears to be for me either. I am still running 8.1 (AP2).

This issue is due to the implementation of persistent full screen nav/map and the intolerably weak SOC used in the MCUs (both versions). I have eliminated skipping and glitching in streamed music by “hiding” the nav/map. I believe the larger, higher pixel count 17” screen of the X and S is simply too much for the processor.

To hide the map/nav and stop it from rendering open the doodle Easter egg. Fill it with your favorite color (I used black). Then you can put any other app on top and music on bottom. See my avatar. I have not have a skipping problem since.

Love the added features with V9 but the UI on X/S sucks sucks sucks.

Last edited:
I drive a couple days with a nice little MERRY CHRISTMAS on my drawings Easter egg.
Worked and fixed the streaming music.
But then I drove at night and it damn near blinded me.
Anyway I know that works but just isn’t all that practical for long term.
It’s not the sky is falling kind of problem. But damn sure is annoying!

Is this something that happens all the time? Or just few / unlucky vehicles / owners?

I don't know how widespread it is, but I experienced it when I upgraded to v9 (42.2). I have an April 2017 delivery Model S 100D (MCU1). I discovered the "Doodle Pad" solution here and it solved the stuttering problem.

When I recently upgraded to 46.2, it was still a problem (which I noticed in the first 10 minutes of driving, since the Map was being displayed again). The "Doodle Pad" solution continues to remedy the problem (although the UI is much more sluggish in general since I upgraded to 46.2).

Possible Temporary SOLUTION!
Tried other methods but this one worked for me the last two times I drove my car, 20 min each. No more stuttering! Music sounds like it was in v8.

See this link...
Get back those dropped framerates with v9

I have S75D 2.5 AP with sw 2018.42.2
Finally got rid of that very annoying problem!

I had this same issue with Slacker stuttering/glitching ever since updating to v9 (42.2), and also confirmed obscuring the map with the easter egg sketchpad seemed to solve it as a temporary workaround

the other day I updated to 48.12.1, and while the stuttering seems less frequent, it still occurs. So maybe improved but not 100% fixed.
AP1/MCU1 MS 70D

I had this same issue with Slacker stuttering/glitching ever since updating to v9 (42.2), and also confirmed obscuring the map with the easter egg sketchpad seemed to solve it as a temporary workaround

the other day I updated to 48.12.1, and while the stuttering seems less frequent, it still occurs. So maybe improved but not 100% fixed.
AP1/MCU1 MS 70D
I agree completely. It does seem just a bit better. But still there sadly.