Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

glitchy/skipping/stuttering slacker streaming music anyone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gone with 2018.50.6 for me.
good to hear.
I still had the glitchy problem with 2018.48.12.1 (AP1/MCU1) - but late tonight my car just got the 50.6 update. Just in time because other weirdness with 48.12.1 kept causing the sketchpad easter egg to spontaneously close by itself every time I put the car into Drive or Reverse (surely another sign of pure flakey software design), negating the Slacker glitch workaround

I notice the 50.6 release notes don't say anything different than 48.12.1, so presumably just misc bug fixes. We'll see on tomorrow's drive if that solves it for me too [fingers crossed]

Gone with 2018.50.6 for me.

Testing today seems to indicate the same for me (April 2017 Model S MCU1). I did a few 30-minute trips and experienced no stutters, whereas previously it would occur within about 5 minutes of driving.

However, I've noticed that there is now a notable delay between changing the volume setting and the volume levels adjusting, which was not previously present. I can adjust volume with the left scroll wheel (more noticeable by making a large change) and there will be a few seconds before it is applied. Has anyone else experienced this?

I can adjust volume with the left scroll wheel (more noticeable by making a large change) and there will be a few seconds before it is applied. Has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, but I've had that since 2018.48.12.1, it's nothing new.
This backs up the suspicion by several people on here that Tesla must not test these updates outside virtual machines in an office, no programmer in their right mind would accept having a 2 second delay on a simple volume control knob!

Last edited:
Testing today seems to indicate the same for me (April 2017 Model S MCU1). I did a few 30-minute trips and experienced no stutters, whereas previously it would occur within about 5 minutes of driving.

after updating to 2018.50.6 three days ago, my observation is (so far) the same. I haven't heard a single Slacker glitch/stutter through driving a total of a few hours over the 3 days after the update. Previously on 2018.48.12.1 I would hear one or several glitches every few songs (again, my car is AP1/MCU1)

However, I've noticed that there is now a notable delay between changing the volume setting and the volume levels adjusting, which was not previously present. I can adjust volume with the left scroll wheel (more noticeable by making a large change) and there will be a few seconds before it is applied. Has anyone else experienced this?

In my case, I've never noticed any delay between changing the volume and hearing the volume change, via either the scroll wheel or the screen control, whether on this latest firmware update or any prior version.

OTOH, an unrelated different Slacker/media player bug remains for me even with this latest 2018.50.6 - that is, every once in a while (e.g. every couple days), one or more of my Slacker favorites spontaneously gets "forgotten" and I have to re-select it as a Favorite. The problem has been around for a long long time, not new to v9 btw

The original problem that I have had was NOT the song skipping to another song. That never happened to me. But rather a skipping and stuttering of the song itself. Almost as if it was trying to buffer sort of.
I’ve seen other reports of the song skipping the complete track in other posts. I suspect this is different than the original frame rate dropping we have seen that is now corrected in 50.6.

Just my thoughts.
For the record I have a few weeks now on 50.6 and have yet to hear even one event of the original glitchy ness issue

It never ceases to amaze me how we so many of us(throughout these forums) can have the same car, the same software and yet have so many widely varying issues and problems and experiences.
Some good and some so bad.

I guess only real difference sometimes is the regions we drive in. Different OTA reception from service maybe?

It never ceases to amaze me how we so many of us(throughout these forums) can have the same car, the same software and yet have so many widely varying issues and problems and experiences.
Some good and some so bad.

I guess only real difference sometimes is the regions we drive in. Different OTA reception from service maybe?
There can be other differences beside 3G/LTE reception. Available memory in the MCU is certainly an issue; as more space is in use, less will be available for tasks like streaming. It's been mentioned that if you frequently use Navigate to set destinations and never clear them afterward, those locations take up memory. A large collection of music on USB will require space for caching the track information. Satellite map tiles need more memory than vector maps. Calendar data takes up space, and so on.

When some people are saying "it works for me" and others are experiencing problems on the same software build, it's actually a pretty common situation that just means the software wasn't tested in enough configurations to reproduce the issue. It's the Works On My Machine problem. We're also assuming it's the same hardware, but that may not be a given.

The original problem that I have had was NOT the song skipping to another song. That never happened to me. But rather a skipping and stuttering of the song itself. Almost as if it was trying to buffer sort of.
I’ve seen other reports of the song skipping the complete track in other posts. I suspect this is different than the original frame rate dropping we have seen that is now corrected in 50.6.

Just my thoughts.
For the record I have a few weeks now on 50.6 and have yet to hear even one event of the original glitchy ness issue
yes, agreed. There seem to be two different reported Slacker "skipping" problems:

1) song glitching/stuttering within a track
(i.e. this current thread - workaround for the problem is to hide map with easter egg sketchpad)

2) song aborting mid-track and starting to play the next track
(e.g. discussed elsewhere - theory is this one is related to connectivity)

I have seen both these problems while on 2018.48.12.1 - MCU1, all Nav destinations cleared, and additional memory/cache/trip odometers cleared by Service Center, no USB plugged in. I've experienced problem (1) when there are 3-4 bars LTE signal, so I don't believe that one is connectivity related.

After updating to 2018.50.6 and driving for a week, thankfully I have not (yet) noticed a single reoccurence of problem (1). However I have had one case of problem (2) this week, ie song aborting mid-track and skipping to next song.

• Helpful
Reactions: dgpcolorado
yes, agreed. There seem to be two different reported Slacker "skipping" problems:

1) song glitching/stuttering within a track
(i.e. this current thread - workaround for the problem is to hide map with easter egg sketchpad)

2) song aborting mid-track and starting to play the next track
(e.g. discussed elsewhere - theory is this one is related to connectivity)

I have seen both these problems while on 2018.48.12.1 - MCU1, all Nav destinations cleared, and additional memory/cache/trip odometers cleared by Service Center, no USB plugged in. I've experienced problem (1) when there are 3-4 bars LTE signal, so I don't believe that one is connectivity related.

After updating to 2018.50.6 and driving for a week, thankfully I have not (yet) noticed a single reoccurence of problem (1). However I have had one case of problem (2) this week, ie song aborting mid-track and skipping to next song.

To revive this older thread..
I have problem 1 with Spotify stuttering in my S100D with MCU1, and with three different 2019.x.x versions - latest being 2019.12.1.1

I did not have stuttering in my former S85D with 2018.50.6.

F-stop and others with this problem: apparently you experienced that the problem disappeared with 2018.50.6? Has it been.reintroduced with 2019.x.x for you as well?

Reactions: ivory_diadems
It appears to be getting worse. Initially on update to 12.1.1 it wasn’t too bad. Just maybe once during a song. It seems to be much more often in the last week or so. Not quite sure why or what’s different. I tried an old trick of deleting all the recent locations from the Nav and then doing a full reboot. But didn’t really change anything.
It’s a shame because I know this can be fixed since they had to fix it once already this year from a previous build.
And of course it all started again.

To revive this older thread..
I have problem 1 with Spotify stuttering in my S100D with MCU1, and with three different 2019.x.x versions - latest being 2019.12.1.1

I did not have stuttering in my former S85D with 2018.50.6.

F-stop and others with this problem: apparently you experienced that the problem disappeared with 2018.50.6? Has it been.reintroduced with 2019.x.x for you as well?

I did mention the stuttering (problem 1) seemed to go way with 2018.50.6
I do have 2019.12.1.1 now, but can't say for sure if the problem is reintroduced - I want to say I think I've heard a couple glitches since the update, but to be fair I haven't had a chance to really check carefully since the update introduced a new, stranger audio bug that I was looking into Audio Default to 4 when shifting Gear?!

also it wouldn't surprise me in the least if 2019.12.1.1 still has streaming audio glitching problems, knowing that this version (and likely others) has the nasty bug where MCU1 browser is basically useless/dead unless you use the same old sketchpad workaround to obscure the map, or turn off the traffic overlay - due to absurdly wasted MCU cycles, see: MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

On 12.1.2 I am getting:

* No ESPN streaming
* Glitchy streaming of NPR station (which would be fine if I could listen to ESPN)

So just streaming everything through my phone but now like others when I change from drive to reverse, etc. the volume goes to zero.

None of this is important and I can live with it. I am concerned though that phantom braking on AP has increased for me.

On 12.1.2 I am getting:

* No ESPN streaming
* Glitchy streaming of NPR station (which would be fine if I could listen to ESPN)

So just streaming everything through my phone but now like others when I change from drive to reverse, etc. the volume goes to zero.

None of this is important and I can live with it. I am concerned though that phantom braking on AP has increased for me.

In regards to phantom braking.. Same here, and in general I find AP quite unstable in latest sw versions..

I did mention the stuttering (problem 1) seemed to go way with 2018.50.6
I do have 2019.12.1.1 now, but can't say for sure if the problem is reintroduced - I want to say I think I've heard a couple glitches since the update, but to be fair I haven't had a chance to really check carefully since the update introduced a new, stranger audio bug that I was looking into Audio Default to 4 when shifting Gear?!

also it wouldn't surprise me in the least if 2019.12.1.1 still has streaming audio glitching problems, knowing that this version (and likely others) has the nasty bug where MCU1 browser is basically useless/dead unless you use the same old sketchpad workaround to obscure the map, or turn off the traffic overlay - due to absurdly wasted MCU cycles, see: MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..

Yes, 2019.x.x and browser is definitely not a good combination..

I have been driving my wife's X75D MCU1 car for a week now. The audio skipping/stuttering is pretty bad. I have not tried to remove the USB / dashcam / sentry drive yet to see if that helps but it is pretty annoying.
I wish I could tell you ANY of those things would help. But unfortunately it won’t. Most of us have tried them all.
The last week mine has actually gotten worse. Not sure why. Maybe some memory buffer starts to fill or whatever. Who the hell knows.
If it isn’t fixed soon I’m not sure what I’m going to do. It’s killing me.
Even has started locking up and doing weird things to the normal radio.