Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glitchy stuttering streaming music back again in 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMO all these bugs are all related, and all due to overloading the MCU1's cpu. If true, the only reliable fixes would be to optimize the code or upgrade the MCU.
Yes I agree with all that, from what others are saying on how to make the experience less frustrating is to have the nav display hidden. Whilst that is nothing more than a band-aid fix if Telsa put the option in the current code to turn off the live map display to lighten up CPU load then I don't get why they don't do it.

We don't get the model 3 here yet but when I've seen videos on YouTube with people using that screen it seems much more responsive and not stressed! Clearly the plan with the current code base is to be common between all models but sometimes that just doesn't work. My fear is they will end up being like the rest of the computing world and rather than streamline the code for efficiency you'll need to buy 'a new faster one' to maintain usability as updates continue to roll out.

I'm having similar issues to most here. What I do not want to see happen is what happened to our first generation iPad. When we first purchased it, the display was buttery smooth. Fast forward to today and it's practically unusable. Screen not responsive to touch, very laggy scrolling, inputs registering several seconds after touch, etc. This all happened because of software updates.

Nov 2017, AP2.5, MCU1

A while back someone posted a trick to make the stuttering go away. The trick is to bring up the "Sketch Pad" easter egg and fill it with a black screen. Then pull your music and camera apps on top of them. This way the navigation maps are completely blocked from view and it must therefore not waste CPU cycles on the maps.

It's been working great for me since late last year. Give it a try and see if it solves your stuttering issues.

I am 2019.8.6 right now. I suspect what is happening is the code that displays the backup camera window froze just as it switched off the last time I backed up. The next time I backed up, the frozen window was then redisplayed. I took a photo of the screen and included it in a bug report to my SC.

IMO all these bugs are all related, and all due to overloading the MCU1's cpu. If true, the only reliable fixes would be to optimize the code or upgrade the MCU. I hope we're not suck with this crummy unreliable MCU operation for months. Every car has a limited lifetime. It is not fair to force owners to endure months of unreliable stuttering, glitchy, rebooting behavior out of that limited life time.

I 1000% support Tesla and their goal of cleaning our air, fighting global warming, and sustainability. But they're going to have a harder time succeeding if customers are forced to swallow months of glitchy substandard operation of their cars. My wife Dana was planning on getting a loaded Model 3 when the lease on her 2017 Volt is up in September. After seeing all the glitchy rebooting stuttering that I am putting up with, she said she is not sure she could deal with this kind of unreliability in a car. I suspect she is not alone.

The ONLY thing I'd say back to that is her Model 3 would be the MCU2 equivalent.

Jeff