Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glitchy stuttering streaming music back again in 8.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone who has this issue will know exactly wha I’m referring to. We had some threads covering it awhile back in some older software releases. It doesn’t appear to be every drive for me like it was but enough for me to tell it’s there again. As I begin a navigation and it’s calculating the route I’ve had the music just start skipping or pause altogether. And then off and on I can hear it skip during the drive. It appears to be the frame rate dropping as it’s using the Nav maps displayed on center screen just like before. This is easily checked by using the sketch pad Easter egg to replace the map and the problem stops.
I get the feeling Tesla is trying to push the hardware to its extremes and it doesn’t have anything left.
BTW this will appear on AP2.5 cars only I think based on previous threads.

• Love
Reactions: thenaimis
I have this too!! Everyone I’ve asked said they don’t have this issue so I’m glad to see others with this problem.

I found its much worse when using autopilot!!

I’ve had it since version 9 first came out (around November 2018) and it’s much worse in 2019.8.5

I have a 100D MX, AP2.5 MCU1.

Does anyone know what the cause is?

I have this too!! Everyone I’ve asked said they don’t have this issue so I’m glad to see others with this problem.

I found its much worse when using autopilot!!

I’ve had it since version 9 first came out (around November 2018) and it’s much worse in 2019.8.5

I have a 100D MX, AP2.5 MCU1.

Does anyone know what the cause is?
I am surprised to hear folks with AP2.0 are having the issue also. It seemed to only affect 2.5 cars last time, or so I thought. But who knows.

Best anyone can tell is the computer frame rate is dropping out and missing frames randomly. Tesla fixed it in 50.6 and it has been flawless for me again until this week I went to 8.5. I’ve tried many tests like turning off teslacam dashcam for a couple days, NOT having a route pit in Nav, and even tried sitting in garage on WIFI in case it might be a OtA speed buffering issue with the streaming music.
None of that made a bit of difference. Again the only thing that makes it stop is using the Easter egg sketch pad on. This somehow takes a load off the processor and allows it to easily handle the music.
Frustrating as hell.

I’m not an engineer or software guy, so I may not be using exact terminology to describe this. But I think I’m generally on the right track.

• Informative
Reactions: docl and thecloud
It's not just in 19.8.5... Have 2019.12 and have the same issue.

Logs indicate either a problem with the Audio driver or hardware:
Code:
ERROR [AlsaPlaybackDevice] Failed to write to ALSA device -> preparing, error: Broken pipe retrying...

I was having this issue today and I think it might be caused by using the Dashcam on MCU1. The screen was also very laggy and restarted multiple times on it's own. Might be due to the addition of the side cameras to the recording. Problems went away when I disabled the Dashcam.

I started having this problem since updating to 2019.8.6 from 2028.50.6. Feb 2018 S75D with MCU1.

My guess is the MCU isn’t able to cope with navigation, increase in recording cams, rear camera, and streaming audio.

I’ve found when it stutters that the display in front of the wheel is rendering a car and it stutters as it’s auto changing the car to a bus or suv.

AP2.5/MCU1/Dashcam on
I haven’t noticed that, but I’m not surprised. The whole system just feels underpowered in processing power.
I haven’t played with a new car running MCU2 but I’ve heard it’s much smoother and more responsive.

MS 100D 11/2017 build AP2.5 MCU1... and stuttering since "upgrading" to 2019.8.x... I never experienced stuttering before. I am also experiencing the following since the OTA update:
  1. Random Crash and Reboots (several times during a typical drive — about once every two hours)
  2. Lose of sound (radio, directionals, alerts, etc)
  3. Backup camera shows footage from hours ago, instead of current view
  4. Gibberish on every button on every screen (this is far worse than gibberish caused by any prior firmware). This has only occurred once so far.
I suspect much of this is due to race conditions in the code which are exacerbated by heavy processor loading in the MCU. The MCU is simply being crushed by all the work it is being asked to do and as a result is stuttering, freezing, and crashing... That’s my theory, anyway...

Backup camera shows footage from hours ago, instead of current view
Wow Kevin, that is mind boggling how that can even happen.

It's very sad that the MCU code has got to this point, for me I'm on 2019.8.4 although I suspect I'll get a nudge to go to 2019.8.5 as that is what majority of AP2 cars are being pushed to. However contrary to your experiences this has been the most stable release for me with V9, everything is actually working and no reboots, the only thing that seems to have stopped working is a notification going to my phone when charging is interrupted (works fine for start of and end of charging).

My suspicion is the programmers are being pushed too hard to stick to release times, there isn't enough of them or the head of the department is not managing testing before release very well.

I haven’t played with a new car running MCU2 but I’ve heard it’s much smoother and more responsive.
If you were offered a paid upgrade would you take it?
I see the difference between how smooth the Model 3 seems to operate versus the jittery Model S screen and I think if the price was not bad you'd have to consider it.

I am having this issue to.

I have had my model S for 13 months and have not had this stutter/pause/freeze issue with streaming until software update 2019.8.5.

Same here, never had this audio stutter/glitching with streaming until 2019.8.5 (to which my S updated last week from one of the 2018.50 versions). My S is one of the very last that were built in late February last year with MCU1. I'm not bitter! (much)

Reactions: Trebek1762
Wow Kevin, that is mind boggling how that can even happen.

It's very sad that the MCU code has got to this point, for me I'm on 2019.8.4 although I suspect I'll get a nudge to go to 2019.8.5 as that is what majority of AP2 cars are being pushed to. However contrary to your experiences this has been the most stable release for me with V9, everything is actually working and no reboots, the only thing that seems to have stopped working is a notification going to my phone when charging is interrupted (works fine for start of and end of charging).

I am 2019.8.6 right now. I suspect what is happening is the code that displays the backup camera window froze just as it switched off the last time I backed up. The next time I backed up, the frozen window was then redisplayed. I took a photo of the screen and included it in a bug report to my SC.

IMO all these bugs are all related, and all due to overloading the MCU1's cpu. If true, the only reliable fixes would be to optimize the code or upgrade the MCU. I hope we're not suck with this crummy unreliable MCU operation for months. Every car has a limited lifetime. It is not fair to force owners to endure months of unreliable stuttering, glitchy, rebooting behavior out of that limited life time.

I 1000% support Tesla and their goal of cleaning our air, fighting global warming, and sustainability. But they're going to have a harder time succeeding if customers are forced to swallow months of glitchy substandard operation of their cars. My wife Dana was planning on getting a loaded Model 3 when the lease on her 2017 Volt is up in September. After seeing all the glitchy rebooting stuttering that I am putting up with, she said she is not sure she could deal with this kind of unreliability in a car. I suspect she is not alone.