Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Global semiconductor shortage affecting Powerwall production (?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Wanted to pass on some info I received from my third party installer. Take it as you will.

They were expecting delivery of my powerwalls from Tesla by the end of Feb, but their account manager at Tesla Energy told them today they are experiencing production delays due to the current global semiconductor shortage and that it would be 2-4 more weeks before units were allocated and shipped.

I’ve been waiting since September so another few weeks isn’t really here nor there, but found the info interesting nonetheless. Maybe BS, maybe a kernel of truth, maybe Tesla is still just prioritizing their own installs, who knows. But it seems plausible.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thanks for sharing. If I had to guess I would imagine it is likely that it is some of everything you mentioned. Likely some of tesla having reduced supply due to build units due to the shortage, and some of tesla only allocating a percentage to their third party installers (and with reduced production that percentage means less units). Also could be a bit of "load juggling" by the installer, since they are getting less units, prioritizing them differently.

Seriously just guessing, but that sequence makes sense.

Wanted to pass on some info I received from my third party installer. Take it as you will.

They were expecting delivery of my powerwalls from Tesla by the end of Feb, but their account manager at Tesla Energy told them today they are experiencing production delays due to the current global semiconductor shortage and that it would be 2-4 more weeks before units were allocated and shipped.

I’ve been waiting since September so another few weeks isn’t really here nor there, but found the info interesting nonetheless. Maybe BS, maybe a kernel of truth, maybe Tesla is still just prioritizing their own installs, who knows. But it seems plausible.
It seems to me the global shortage of LOTS of stuff may just be starting to happened, let alone price increases. I feel very very luck getting my 5 powerwalls installed now!

Reactions: charlesj