Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Global Top 10 PEV Brands July 2017 YTD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RobStark

Jul 2, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Pl WORLD .............July.........YTD...............% ..........'16Pl
1 Tesla ..................4.884....... 51.884.........10............ 2
2 BMW ..................6.600........48.796......... 9..............3
3 BYD ....................11.217......46.019..........8.............1
4 BAIC ...................5.930 .......36.081...........7.............5
5 Nissan................4.139........33.620...........6.............4
6 Toyota.................4.989........31.909..........6............30
7 Chevrolet.............4.513........27.359..........5............8
8 Renault.............. 2.662........ 22.771..........4...........10
9 Zhidou................3.796 ........22.514..........4...........14
10.Volkswagen......2.029........18.506..........3.............6

Individual Models ranked in link

EV Sales: World Top 10 July 2017

Reactions: Bgarret
This should really be a list of BEVs, if we're going to compare against Tesla. PHEVs shouldn't be under the same umbrella, IMHO.

Then it would be a list of Tesla,Nissan,and Renault.

Not very interesting.

But I do wish someone would compile that list anyway.

The Chinese brands would move up on that list in the next 2-5 years.

BTW The other problem is that some OEMs don't break down sales between BEV and PHEV. Like BMW and Hyundai.

Then it would be a list of Tesla,Nissan,and Renault.

Not very interesting.

But I do wish someone would compile that list anyway.

The Chinese brands would move up on that list in the next 2-5 years.

BTW The other problem is that some OEMs don't break down sales between BEV and PHEV. Like BMW and Hyundai.

I think it's pretty interesting that Tesla is outselling much cheaper vehicles, myself. However, I get you point.

I just think it's silly that vehicles with 13 miles AER being compared with Teslas.

I think it's pretty interesting that Tesla is outselling much cheaper vehicles, myself. However, I get you point.

I just think it's silly that vehicles with 13 miles AER being compared with Teslas.

Another interesting list would be to measure demand not in units but dollars. As is done in most industries.

Again, Tesla would wipe the floor with everyone else.

Anyways, once Model 3 is out Tesla will outsell PHEV models by a wide margin.

FWIW
went to that link, and added in the July best seller BYD Song PHEV

upload_2017-9-4_9-33-42.png

quick pivot table the Charging Standards on a global basis for july 2017 top 10+1
upload_2017-9-4_9-35-16.png

a picture says a thousand words,
global standard is Chinese GBT
CCS is fading

default that manufacturer need to scale for is
beijing-auto-China-2014-show-DENZA-charging-receptacles.jpg

One month's figures can't be used to draw those conclusions.

in the absence of more complete data, what choice do we have?
(and yes, I agree that Tesla specific analysis should always cover a least 3 months)

but the point remains, the global standard by production and sales for DC charging is absolutely Chinese GBT
does it matter to Tesla Inc. Not really, Tesla SC, Chinese GBT & Chademo are all independent but related hardware wise, CAN bus. That is why Tesla can so easily adapt to China and Japan.

does it matter to Chademo, yes, for the same reason it matters to CCS.
Single port, PLC will never be the global default because the Chinese standard is now the global default.

China is the world's largest car market, perhaps 28million units pa. rising to 30 million in a year or 2
ZEV like quotas start 2018, 8%, 2019 10%, 2020 12% (depending on range a car may be worth 2 units to perhaps 5 units)

Tesla's competitors are mostly the premium German automakers. Those same VW/BMW automakers are the heavy supporters behind CCS (as a foil to the Japanese Chademo) Now the German automakers must produce more cars that have
2 ports (smaller AC, stronger DC)
CAN bus for battery charge conrol
as their highest sales volume plugin vehicles, or pay Chinese competitors for credits.

it just cements that the old idea of sticking a CCS plug under the fuel cap, just won't be sufficient. Everybody except Tesla will optimise their location and size of plug to accept the Chinese GBT as the baseline configuration, (country specific may have Chademo or CCS) but the natural form will be to support GBT.

(I'll be watching to see if the new Nissan LEAF comes with Mennekes and Chademo, for continental Europe, that would be an example of Chinese GBT design influence)

Eventually I expect Renault to go CCS for Europe, but the die is now set, dual port is the global standard

in the absence of more complete data, what choice do we have?
(and yes, I agree that Tesla specific analysis should always cover a least 3 months)

but the point remains, the global standard by production and sales for DC charging is absolutely Chinese GBT
does it matter to Tesla Inc. Not really, Tesla SC, Chinese GBT & Chademo are all independent but related hardware wise, CAN bus. That is why Tesla can so easily adapt to China and Japan.

does it matter to Chademo, yes, for the same reason it matters to CCS.
Single port, PLC will never be the global default because the Chinese standard is now the global default.

China is the world's largest car market, perhaps 28million units pa. rising to 30 million in a year or 2
ZEV like quotas start 2018, 8%, 2019 10%, 2020 12% (depending on range a car may be worth 2 units to perhaps 5 units)

Tesla's competitors are mostly the premium German automakers. Those same VW/BMW automakers are the heavy supporters behind CCS (as a foil to the Japanese Chademo) Now the German automakers must produce more cars that have
2 ports (smaller AC, stronger DC)
CAN bus for battery charge conrol
as their highest sales volume plugin vehicles, or pay Chinese competitors for credits.

it just cements that the old idea of sticking a CCS plug under the fuel cap, just won't be sufficient. Everybody except Tesla will optimise their location and size of plug to accept the Chinese GBT as the baseline configuration, (country specific may have Chademo or CCS) but the natural form will be to support GBT.

(I'll be watching to see if the new Nissan LEAF comes with Mennekes and Chademo, for continental Europe, that would be an example of Chinese GBT design influence)

Eventually I expect Renault to go CCS for Europe, but the die is now set, dual port is the global standard

Dumb question. How does the dual port system work? Are there two headed connectors/UMCs? Or one giant Plug?