Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glossy seat backs + kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Silly question...but does or can Xpel dealers do matte finishes on seat backs or are all Xpel products in the shiny finishes?
Not a silly question - I spent a bit of time trying to research exactly this. From what I can tell, Xpel is all shiny/glossy. 3M offers some vehicle wraps that are matte or screen printed - they appear to be quite durable and they're cheaper. There is an installer near me and that's the route I'm likely to go for the seat backs. While I think the Xpel applications in this thread and others look fabulous, it's possible it's overkill if all you want is a matte protection for your seats.

I am so unfamiliar with this stuff. I never installed this plastic protector on any of my cars, I just get them waxed occasionally. The only after market application for me is tint.

What is XPEL? Is it a brand? From what I seen here, it appears to be like a invisible shield for the car? Is it something that is really needed? I never had any paint damage to any of cars unless someone hit me

I am so unfamiliar with this stuff. I never installed this plastic protector on any of my cars, I just get them waxed occasionally. The only after market application for me is tint.

What is XPEL? Is it a brand? From what I seen here, it appears to be like a invisible shield for the car? Is it something that is really needed? I never had any paint damage to any of cars unless someone hit me
No, it's not "needed." -- people lived happily without it. But some like the protection. Feel free to read the marketing: Paint Protection | XPEL - and yes, there are other competitors.

Not a silly question - I spent a bit of time trying to research exactly this. From what I can tell, Xpel is all shiny/glossy. 3M offers some vehicle wraps that are matte or screen printed - they appear to be quite durable and they're cheaper. There is an installer near me and that's the route I'm likely to go for the seat backs. While I think the Xpel applications in this thread and others look fabulous, it's possible it's overkill if all you want is a matte protection for your seats.

Great insight as always. Thanks @ohmman

If it is "needed" depends a lot on where you live. In Utah, where they salt/sand the roads for 5 months of the year, and your windshield is completely pitted after 2-3 years, having paint protection is "needed" if you don't want the paint finish ruined on the front of your car. Windshields are easy to replace every few years.

Of course it's not "needed". But I've seen people make the argument that today's environmentally friendly paint is "softer" than previous paints and they are more likely to be damaged. Hence the growing popularity of these wraps.

Today we got Xpel on the seat backs and you can only tell it's on there from the perfect angle and reflection.View attachment 168214
View attachment 168215

Nice! Mine are set to be wrapped tomorrow with Xpel. I was concerned because the Xpel pattern for the seatback causes a seam along the curved edge. Did yours? Is it noticeable?

upload_2016-6-8_20-48-7.png

Nice! Mine are set to be wrapped tomorrow with Xpel. I was concerned because the Xpel pattern for the seatback causes a seam along the curved edge. Did yours? Is it noticeable?

View attachment 180076
In my second picture you can see the edge of the Xpel. My installer did not use the patterns from Xpel so it may be different than mine. The edge/seam is really not that noticeable, but you can feel it easily. Most people have no idea it's on there.

• Helpful
Reactions: SeanA
I gave up immediately in terms of keeping the seat back looking glossy and nice. With 2 kids (one 5 years old and one 2.5) it's going to be futile keeping it clean. And guess what? I ended up not caring at all and I feel so much better. Anyway, it's actually holding up quite well. The kids keep their shoes on and they love putting their shoes on the back of the seat, but it's mostly just dirt on there and it wipes off easily. No major scratches yet after two months. Obviously everyone's tolerance is different but it really is not that big of a deal.