Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glossy seat backs + kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ohmman - Did you end up going with a matte wrap? I'm curious how yours turned out.
I still haven't. One of my seat backs is slated for replacement due to a scratch at delivery, and I've been waiting on that before taking it in for the wrap. Of course, in the meantime we're probably scratching them all up, so that likely wasn't the best course of action. Honestly, I looked at them the other day and they still look fine. Like @indy360, I'm not worrying too much about it for now. But I do still want to wrap them eventually.

I still haven't. One of my seat backs is slated for replacement due to a scratch at delivery, and I've been waiting on that before taking it in for the wrap. Of course, in the meantime we're probably scratching them all up, so that likely wasn't the best course of action. Honestly, I looked at them the other day and they still look fine. Like @indy360, I'm not worrying too much about it for now. But I do still want to wrap them eventually.
I got @XPEL glossy done on my seats when I got the car covered. It was I think 300 something for four seats plus the third row head rests.
The thing I really like about the gloss finish is that you can't make out that something is installed on the seats. It just blends in with the shiny seat backs.

Mine used XPel pattern for seats and they look awesome. The curvature makes it impossible to use one solid piece of wrap.

Also, about $90/seat. I am on East Coast, where prices seem far more reasonable than the places on West Coast, for whatever reason.

I also put XPel on door sills, but that was just for looks. All was done glossy.

My kids would've destroyed my $130,000 car quickly without some of the protection I've put in place.

How long on average was the install of the Expel on the back of the seats? Did U have to leave the car over night or was it dropped off and picked back up in a few hours?

I had the entire front of my X (bumper, hood, fenders, foglights, headlights, rear view mirrors) and the seats done in one day. I'd imagine a pro would get just the seats done in half a day. My guy (Derek at Atlanta Protective Films) added a nice touch of wrapping the aluminum kickplates, too. They are the plates you step on getting into and out of the car.

Reactions: Sean So Lowe
I had the entire front of my X (bumper, hood, fenders, foglights, headlights, rear view mirrors) and the seats done in one day. I'd imagine a pro would get just the seats done in half a day. My guy (Derek at Atlanta Protective Films) added a nice touch of wrapping the aluminum kickplates, too. They are the plates you step on getting into and out of the car.
That's what all I'd like to get done. I just don't like the idea of leaving my car someplace over night. Plus the closest place is an hour and a half away.

See the scuff on the bottom left of the headrest in the second picture? This is within 3 days of owning the X and likely due to folding down the third row with the second row pushed back.. :/
I got these samples of suntek satin and xpel stealth to decide which one to go with.
The first pic is xpel stealth and the second one suntek. I think xpel stealth has a nicer finish so the curves and contours are more pronounced.
20160703_131259.jpg
20160703_131251.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman
Oh great idea. While shopping for those, I also found these: Amazon.com: BRICA Seat Guardian Car Seat Protector: Baby

Thoughts? Am I losing the look of the Model X?

I got these Brica seat protectors and they cover the seat belt receptacles. So I modified them by cutting out the inside corners with a box cutter. So they work well and will protect the seat from my car seats and basic spills.

As for the glossy seat backs. My assumption here is the paint is on the inside of the surface. I have one scratch on the third row and it is not in paint but looks like a scratch in plastic. Can anyone confirm they are painted on the inside of clear plastic?

I was planning to also do the matte wrap finish of the back seats. However, my guy talked me out of it because he said that if scratches develop, the gloss finish can be easily buffed out. With the matte finish, you can't buff it out and still have it match the rest of the seat back.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments whether this is accurate (or not)?