Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glossy seat backs + kids

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what I use:
81pfa96DIcL._SX522_.jpg

$10 for a two pack.

Reactions: MXWing
This is what I use:
81pfa96DIcL._SX522_.jpg

$10 for a two pack.

@disagree how do you attach those on the bottom? Does the strap go around ok? Most cars it looks like it could go between the seats but on the X it seems like it would stick out. Did you not have that issue or solve it another way? I had some from my previous car but I couldn't get the strap to work around the bottom. Curious if you solved that or just didn't have the problem with these.

I wish I had noticed this thread before I went on my first road trip. I didn't realize the backing of the seats were fragile...given that there's nothing to stop cargo from sliding into the back of the mid-row seats, I just assumed whatever material was being used could take a bit of rubbing.

That said, I recently transported a desk chair in the trunk of my X and used a blanket to be a soft barrier between the wheels and the seats...just in case. And, at some point during the journey, the blanket either let one of the legs/wheels through because there's now a quarter-inch area where the shiny layer has completely rubbed off on one of the seats. Live and learn...

@disagree how do you attach those on the bottom? Does the strap go around ok? Most cars it looks like it could go between the seats but on the X it seems like it would stick out. Did you not have that issue or solve it another way? I had some from my previous car but I couldn't get the strap to work around the bottom. Curious if you solved that or just didn't have the problem with these.
Yeah, the strap sticks out as it goes around, but it doesn't bother me at all (nor anyone who has sat in the front passenger seat).

I suppose it is not the most perfect aesthetic solution, but I manage not to give a ****. Your kwhmv, of course. ;)

I'll try to snap a picture, but my memory is garbage.

I wish I had noticed this thread before I went on my first road trip. I didn't realize the backing of the seats were fragile...given that there's nothing to stop cargo from sliding into the back of the mid-row seats, I just assumed whatever material was being used could take a bit of rubbing.

That said, I recently transported a desk chair in the trunk of my X and used a blanket to be a soft barrier between the wheels and the seats...just in case. And, at some point during the journey, the blanket either let one of the legs/wheels through because there's now a quarter-inch area where the shiny layer has completely rubbed off on one of the seats. Live and learn...
You definitely need a cargo liner. I use mine all the time.

I ended up doing XPEL on just the driver/passenger seats (~$275 total). I don't use the 3rd row often so just plan on making the kids take off their shoes. It sounds like people have had good luck removing scratches and restoring with polish so can do that as needed as well.

You definitely need a cargo liner. I use mine all the time.
I purchased a nice $375 cargo/ trunk liner from US Trunk Liners (custom cut for X). The day after we took it out to pick up a full load of people from the airport, my wife went back to her office without it. That same day she had a co-worker help her load an aluminum sign into the trunk. He placed it with the leg resting against the seat back of second row... Yes
.. as she drove, it appears from the aftermath the leg went back and forth, up and down... SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH.... I'm still heartbroken 4 days later. All the time and effort I've put into protecting those seat backs... Lol

• Love
Reactions: ohmman
I purchased a nice $375 cargo/ trunk liner from US Trunk Liners (custom cut for X). The day after we took it out to pick up a full load of people from the airport, my wife went back to her office without it. That same day she had a co-worker help her load an aluminum sign into the trunk. He placed it with the leg resting against the seat back of second row... Yes
.. as she drove, it appears from the aftermath the leg went back and forth, up and down... SCRATCH SCRATCH SCRATCH.... I'm still heartbroken 4 days later. All the time and effort I've put into protecting those seat backs... Lol
FWIW, I gave you a "Love" rating because I sense that you could use some love. Ouch.

FWIW, I gave you a "Love" rating because I sense that you could use some love. Ouch.
Haha thank you @ohmman , it's nice this thread popped back up so I have somewhere to share my pain. I'm wondering if anyone has priced replacing a seat back? I'm hoping it's not exorbitant as it's just plastic... But I have a feeling it'd be closer to 1000 :( I've also considered just leaving the damage as a meditative symbol of acceptance that there are more accidents in our future and that try as I may I cannot protect our precious from the cold hard realities of the world...

I'm wondering if anyone has priced replacing a seat back? I'm hoping it's not exorbitant as it's just plastic...
You could also have the backs wrapped. Even though it's a bit like closing the barn door after the horses are out, it would hide the scratch. And it would also keep them from getting scratched more.

The other thing that might work if the scratch is not real deep, is to have it block sanded and then polished out. You would have to remove the seat back first to do this though.

You could also have the backs wrapped. Even though it's a bit like closing the barn door after the horses are out, it would hide the scratch. And it would also keep them from getting scratched more.

The other thing that might work if the scratch is not real deep, is to have it block sanded and then polished out. You would have to remove the seat back first to do this though.
To further @aesculus post, you can wrap with a clear XPel, or you can wrap with a opaque XPel, which should hide it pretty well. You can even choose a solid wrap (like carbon fiber) which would completely hide any scratches.

You can even choose a solid wrap (like carbon fiber) which would completely hide any scratches.

I think an opaque wrap sounds like a pretty good solution...how much does it typically cost to do the seat backs (since I have the 6 seat configuration, I'd need to do 4).

I'm still debating whether I should do the whole car with a clear wrap or not...I remember having a Venture Shield clear bra put on the front of my NSX was pretty expensive.

I think an opaque wrap sounds like a pretty good solution...how much does it typically cost to do the seat backs (since I have the 6 seat configuration, I'd need to do 4).

I'm still debating whether I should do the whole car with a clear wrap or not...I remember having a Venture Shield clear bra put on the front of my NSX was pretty expensive.
Seat back wraps vary in price, depending on installer, product, location. Typically, you're looking at around $125/each ($500 for all 4). Check out this thread for more information.