Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove box latch failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had the same problem - glove box wouldn't close. Exactly same cause as above - right hand latch had "stuck" inside the door liner. A gradual coaxing with a screwdriver head was all it took to pop both sides out - now working good as normal. Thanks so much for the information posted here - saved me a call to Service!

Just had the same problem - glove box wouldn't close. Exactly same cause as above - right hand latch had "stuck" inside the door liner. A gradual coaxing with a screwdriver head was all it took to pop both sides out - now working good as normal. Thanks so much for the information posted here - saved me a call to Service!

Happened to me again...twice this week. When I go in for my 12k service I will ask the SC to replace my glove box lid/door as some have done. I however do not know if this has been re-engineered or not---anyone have any ideas?

A simple engineering fix would be to make the right side hole a little thicker so the right post can't go far enough in to be trapped.

Lastly, I noticed when the one and only time this happened, it was because I slammed the door closed.

What worked for me

Just had an interesting failure on my S85. Unlocked the car, disconnected the ChargePoint J1772 and adapter, closed the charge port, got into the car, popped open the glove box to stow the adapter, then went to close the glove box and it would not latched closed. Tried a bunch of times to get it to latch without success. Upon further investigation, I could see that the latch mechanism was retracted. If I pressed on the glove box release, the latch would extend, the immediately retract. It would not stay extended. No obvious loose or missing parts. Called Tesla service--they had never heard of any failure like this, and had a limited repertoire of things to try. They had me try to reboot main display with both rollers on steering wheel. No joy. Then they had me pull the 2 20 amp fuses and reinsert them to power cycle the circuits that they thought might be culprit. Again, no joy. My additional concern was the glove box light--would it stay on if the glove box was left open and the car was powered off/locked. I did not want to run down the 12V system. No-one had the definitive answer. So now I have a piece of blue painters tape holding the glove box closed, and will have to make the pilgrimage to Fremont next week.

Anyone have any ideas?

Same problem. Inserted a flat head screwdriver over the top of the curved portion on the latch and wiggled it. It released. It appeared to be wedged in there. I must admit I had slammed the glove shut when this happened.

Worked for me.jpg

Same problem. Inserted a flat head screwdriver over the top of the curved portion on the latch and wiggled it. It released. It appeared to be wedged in there. I must admit I had slammed the glove shut when this happened.

View attachment 53549

What's your VIN?? There has been a revision along the way, and the one I had done a few months ago has been perfect (...and I do overload the glovebox and slam the door). You might need to have your local SC replace it.

Wow im glad this thread helped so many people, i still have my car and its coming up to 4 years, ive never had an issue with the glove box in all that time. I open and close it quite often as i store my J1772 adapter in there.

i guess if you close it using "normal" speed and force it shouldn't have an issue.

This just happened to my 2013. the left side latch on the glovebox door will not spring back out. I notice that there does not seem to be a latch on the right side of the glovebox door. Can someone confirm that the 2013 models only have a single left side latch? Maybe mine is buried in deep ?? A screw drive does nto seem to hit anything in the empty hole on the right side. The release button works fine for the left side release in the frame. When I feel for anything happening in the "empty" hole on the right side frame there seems to be nothing there.

Only a one sided system in the 2013?

This just happened to my 2013. the left side latch on the glovebox door will not spring back out. I notice that there does not seem to be a latch on the right side of the glovebox door. Can someone confirm that the 2013 models only have a single left side latch? Maybe mine is buried in deep ?? A screw drive does nto seem to hit anything in the empty hole on the right side. The release button works fine for the left side release in the frame. When I feel for anything happening in the "empty" hole on the right side frame there seems to be nothing there.

Only a one sided system in the 2013?

All Model S AFAIK have a 2 sided latch. If you are 'missing' a latch, look for the 'empty' opening in the side of the glove box door. Get a flashlight and look inside the right hand side hole. Maybe feel around a bit more. The latch shifts over a lot and becomes hard to see. Trust me, it is there (unless something major actually broke off.