TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Glove Box Light Addition

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by gctseng, Aug 15, 2013.

1. gctseng

gctseng All around good guy

I'm still getting around to adding additional LED lighting to my trunk and frunk (I actually a different approach for these, but you guys'll have to wait to see it when I'm done--waiting for parts from China :tongue:), but in the meantime, I've added a strip of 3 LED's to the glove box.

1. Scrounged an unused cover for my computer case and bent it straight, then screwed it in the back side of the existing glove box light holder/cover:

IMG_3592.JPG
    IMG_3593.JPG
    2. Added some heat-shrink tubing to make sure the wires stayed in place (the LED strip already has a sticky back, but I wanted to make sure things didn't go anywhere--unlikely anyway as everything is so light).
    IMG_3594.JPG
    Here's a view of the side that is facing the interior of the glove box:
    IMG_3595.JPG
    3. Connected and secured my female connector (white) to the existing glove box light connector (black) (the wires on the other end of my connector are actually first soldered to 2 pins that are to be inserted into the backside of the existing glove box light connector, then I added shrink tubing (yellow) to the soldered connector wires/pins assembly after I soldered the pins). As I didn't want to modify the existing glove box light connector, I used a tie (orange) to secure everything (if I ever have to remove the light, I can simply unscrew the LED assembly from the cover from step 1, and simply cut the tie and pull out my pins):
    IMG_3598.JPG
    IMG_3601.JPG

4. Connected the plugs, shoved everything back and replaced the lid. Voila. More light:
    IMG_3602.JPG

Sorry about the quality of the pictures and lack of intermediary steps. I figured people could figure out what I did, but if there are people interested and want to know more, I can try to take more pictures.

-EJ

2. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

I feel that any ingenuity move like this, gets kudos and a rep comment. Nice work. I like the way it turned out.

3. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Hmmmm ... wonder what's in the prescription bottle ... doesn't look like pills :scared:

4. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Very nice post with great attention to detail and perfect pictures. Nicely done!

5. gctseng

gctseng All around good guy

It's what the doctor ordered...to feed the parking meter. ;)

Now if anyone can tell me how to get access to the button for the glove box release or send me a link to a thread with pictures, I can really do some modding in the dash area to add other "features".

6. Laumb

Laumb smrtass.

Nice mod!

how is the large cover removed? Pull from back or front?
    Thinking of getting power to my Blackvue from back there (always 12V from what measuring In the fuse box says).

7. LastNLSig

LastNLSig Active Member