Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove Box Light Not Working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Roy W.

Battery running low...
Jun 3, 2019
Derby, UK
I’d always wondered, when the LR Model 3 has puddle lights, door pocket lights, footwell lights etc. why there was no light in the glovebox.

I happened to mention this to @davidmc when we met yesterday, and David told me that his car *did* have a light in the glove box!

It turns out that my light in the glove box has never worked. I’ve checked, and it is there :)

So, has anyone had the glove box light out? It seems recessed, so does it just clip out like the other lights?

Also on the same sort of subject, I’ve checked the manual and can’t find any mention of a fuse box or fuses. Are there any? Or do we have an array of electronic fuses somewhere that reset automatically?

Reactions: davidmc
I’d always wondered, when the LR Model 3 has puddle lights, door pocket lights, footwell lights etc. why there was no light in the glovebox.

I happened to mention this to @davidmc when we met yesterday, and David told me that his car *did* have a light in the glove box!

It turns out that my light in the glove box has never worked. I’ve checked, and it is there :)

So, has anyone had the glove box light out? It seems recessed, so does it just clip out like the other lights?

Also on the same sort of subject, I’ve checked the manual and can’t find any mention of a fuse box or fuses. Are there any? Or do we have an array of electronic fuses somewhere that reset automatically?

My car is currently in Leeds SC and a non-functioning glovebox light was on my list. Just got a message that it's ready to collect so I'll know soon if it's fixed. Like you, I had a light in there but it never lit.

Reactions: Roy W.

I have one (in my 2020 M3P collected 21st December) but it is very poor (dark). I have tried to replace with an Abstract Ocean bulb but I simply cannot get into the area to work and replace. All the other bulbs have been fine, just this b****r !

I had a faulty glovebox light on my SR+ which I noticed soon after delivery.
It turned out the connector was not properly pushed in.
The mobile service sorted it in about 5 mins
That’s what I thought might be the problem with mine.

I’ll get a mirror on the job and see if the light fitting comes out as easily as all the others...

Just installed AO lights and was struggling with the glovebox. The videos I saw where this was done didn't seem to have the fabric that mine has there (just hard plastic instead).

Really had difficulty with the spudger so in the end used a small flat headed screwdriver to pry it out from the left side. The cable feeding it comes from the right.

Hope that helps anyone trying to check the light connection or upgrade it!

I had a faulty glovebox light on my SR+ which I noticed soon after delivery.
It turned out the connector was not properly pushed in.
The mobile service sorted it in about 5 mins

The glovebox light on my SR+ has never worked so I included it on a list of issues when it last went into the SC. Whilst the light is there they told me that it is not intended to work on the SR+ and is only meant to work on the LR & P!

• Informative
Reactions: Chickenlips
I had a look today, with the aid of a mirror, to see if I could get the light out to check the connection. It is very tight in the glovebox, and try as I might with a small flat screwdriver, I couldn’t prise the light unit out. In the end I gave up for fear of damaging it.

I’ve now booked a SC visit for 6th February, which I’m hoping they will convert to a Ranger visit as requested!

I had a look today, with the aid of a mirror, to see if I could get the light out to check the connection. It is very tight in the glovebox, and try as I might with a small flat screwdriver, I couldn’t prise the light unit out. In the end I gave up for fear of damaging it.

I’ve now booked a SC visit for 6th February, which I’m hoping they will convert to a Ranger visit as requested!

I have to admit that I have never (yet?) used the glove box other than to occasionally exercise one of the few reliable speech recognition commands by opening it from time to time... I'm not sure if I noticed a light in there or not!

• Funny

It is a very tight spot in there. I'd first tried several times with the AO spudger tool which just slipped about all over the place and I couldn't get a decent angle on it either.

It really did seem to require a lot more force than I had expected to get it out. In my case, as I was changing the bulb anyway I wasn't too concerned with what happened to the old one, but if it's not working in the first place at least if there's an issue elsewhere causing it to be non-functional at least there should be no warranty concerns regarding fixing it.

Same here - friends SR+ seem to work fine, but mine has no light. Not exactly a catastrophe, but have requested a ranger visit in my SC request......not worth a visit just for that though :)