Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove box won’t open, actuator and switch fine.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if there is a specific fuse and/or relay that powers the glove box in the model x (2016)? Mine stopped working the other day. Some tests I did:

1) set a glove box pin to test if dash button is even working. When pressed, pin entry pops up on screen, so button itself seems to be working.

2) removed glove box assembly, mechanism not physically jammed.

3) tested the contact switch on the “soft open” mechanism with a multimeter. Seems to be working fine.

4) took off the actuator mechanism and supplied it with momentary 12v power from a bench top power supply. Motor functions and latch opens.

5) tested the plug that feeds power to the motor for voltage. Reads nothing when glove box button is pressed. Tested jumping the contact switch on the soft close mechanism to make it believe the glove box was closed, still reads no voltage when button is pressed.

So the actuator seems to be working but it’s not getting power from the car. Wondering if anyone knows if there’s a fuse or relay I can check. The glove box light works fine and The 5a fuse for that is ok.

I also already tested scroll wheel reset multiple times and doing a full power off and reboot twice. No luck.

Hi Abatari,

Same issue just happened to me. I cant open the glove box today. I dont have the handy ability like you, and mine is also a 2016. Do you think it could be software? Whats different from yours is, when i press the glove box button it doesnt make any sound. So i am not sure if yours make any noise. Thanks and and good luck.

Woody

Yeah no sound for me either. That’s why I tested the plug that feeds the motor and that is reading 0v. I don’t recall a software update recently but I’m thinking it could be. If you figure out anything let me know. I’ll update this thread if I find a fix. I’m trying to find a wiring diagram to see if I can trace it back to a specific fuse. Looked at the Tesla vehicle api to see if there was a command to open it remotely also and doesn’t look like there is.

Does anyone know if there is a specific fuse and/or relay that powers the glove box in the model x (2016)? Mine stopped working the other day. Some tests I did:

1) set a glove box pin to test if dash button is even working. When pressed, pin entry pops up on screen, so button itself seems to be working.

3) tested the contact switch on the “soft open” mechanism with a multimeter. Seems to be working fine.

4) took off the actuator mechanism and supplied it with momentary 12v power from a bench top power supply. Motor functions and latch opens.

5) tested the plug that feeds power to the motor for voltage. Reads nothing when glove box button is pressed. Tested jumping the contact switch on the soft close mechanism to make it believe the glove box was closed, still reads no voltage when button is pressed.

So the actuator seems to be working but it’s not getting power from the car. Wondering if anyone knows if there’s a fuse or relay I can check. The glove box light works fine and The 5a fuse for that is ok.

I also already tested scroll wheel reset multiple times and doing a full power off and reboot twice. No luck.
I just checked fuse today (inside carbin f219) and it looks fine, therefore mine wasnt a fuse issue. I might have to give up and get SC to fix it.

So fyi, I had filed a bug report saying it stopped working after last update. Might be a coincidence but I got a software update pushed last night and now it’s working again. Could be just that something got reset with the software push and not actually a code issue but who knows.

Mine definitely seemed to be a software issue. It started working again after an update and then actually stopped working again a month or so later after another update just as I was trading in the vehicle the next day, so I couldn’t even clean out the glove box. Tesla’s problem now.

I think the fuse for the glove box and tire pressure display (right side IC scroll wheel) is the same. Can you see each tire pressure read out on the IC when you bring it up? If not, might be the fuse.

I can confirm, that a stuck glove box can to be caused by software on Model X 2016. On September 16th 2022 I was unable to open the glove box. I could tell that the button worked by setting a glove box pin and see that the screen reacted when the button was clicked. However no noise was heard and the box did not open. On September 18th I updated to 2022.24.8 and now it works again. (A tip: My CCS adapter was in the box and I was about to charge at a SuperCharger when I realised that the box was stock. Now I keep the adapter in the trunk, so that I can still charge if it happens again.) . Greetings from Denmark.

I have same issue 3 times for last 3 month. Randomly. Sometime it’s for 7 days and more. No updates during this issue. Just stop opening. No clock soun. Pin is not setup. Car not in valet mode. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I had same issue with glove box on my MX 2017.
Around a month ago it stopped working after my kids played with it a bit. One son was opening it and the other closing as fast as he could. After few cycles it stopped working.
Initially I thought that motor which opens glove box got broken.
As I was able to open it manually with a bit of force applied in right direction it was not the first thing in my todo list to fix that.

Today I decided to get back to this topic and finally made it to work again. And solution was to disconnect 12V battery for 5 minutes.
Previously I tried to do wheel config change from the main screen and to reboot gateway via factory mode with no luck.
Steps are described in other threads but will post them here again:
  1. Open front trunk
  2. Power off car from main screen
  3. Close all doors
  4. Disconnect fireman's loop
  5. Wait for couple of minutes
  6. Get access to main fuse box where positive 12V battery terminal is located and disconnect it
  7. Wait for 5 minutes
  8. Connect everything back in reverse order
Hope it will help somebody with the same issue.

We purchased a 2018 X and the glove box wouldn't open. I finally figured out if I pressed to the left on the right hand side and pulled out while I pushed the release button it would open. I needed to find that because I was trying to replace the filter that is behind there. When I pulled the glove box out I found the right hinge wasn't working. One of the outside plastic cylinders that hold the hinge pin was broken and the pin itself was gone. As we were about to take a trip and I didn't have time to have Tesla look at it, I found a big clip pin that I had and put it in there. Surprisingly, it works fine now. I don't know if I'll even have the service center look at it!