Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glove Box won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone ever have their glove box get stuck? Press the button on the screen and nothing happens, can't hear a click or anything. I had this happen about a month or so ago, figured maybe something got stuck in the latch mechanism. i eventually got it open and it didn't happen again,until now.

Tried rebooting the car a couple times and of course scientifically hitting it with a fist! Won't budge. The glove box and the interior door handles are the two things that would really seem to benefit from being a little more traditional.

I have the opposite problem. Mine has a hard time staying closed. The locking mechanism doesn't come out enough unless I do so by hand -- so I have to keep nothing in it for it to stay until I get it serviced. That and condensation in a rear taillight are the only two problems noticed to date -- that need fixing. It's also giving me trouble charging on older HPWCs (only sometimes) but Tesla knows about that and hopefully we'll get it fixed in an update. I'm still waiting for the wifi update.

I was able to get it to open. I wedged a PPF application squeegee into the left edge of the glove box and applied light prying pressure as i pressed the button. I couldn't tell if the stuff I had in there was causing a jam or not. It's not Tesla's greatest design. Appears to open and close with no issues now. Will definitely follow up with the service center and see what they say.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
...hmmmm..I wonder if it is the same design as on the Model S. Two latching pins, one on either side edge of the door, spring loaded. Connected to each other with a linkage hidden inside the glovebox door. Pushing the button causes the solenoid to fire, pushing in the left hand locking pin, which also pulls in the right hand side pin. This should pop the latch. But if the glovebox is overstuffed, it presses the door against the latch pins. Too much friction--they cannot retract. My solution: press in on the door while trying to release it. Takes the pressure off of the locking pins.