Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glovebox doesn't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took delivery of my 2021 MYP VIN # 194xx a few days ago. All is well, except the glovebox doesn't open unassisted when pressing the button on the screen. I hear the latches engage but the glovebox itself doesn't drop. If I go around the passenger side where I'm able to get some downward leverage on the glovebox while pressing the button I'm able to get the glovebox to open. Once it opens, it lowers slowly as it should. I then pressed the glovebox button on the screen and can visually see both left and right latches simultaneously actuating and return to their original position. I have mobile service coming next week to inspect. I'm tried a reboot and tried depressing both latches and they both seem to feel free from any obstructions. Has anyone had this happen?

Last edited:
Learning: Don't overstuff the glove box.

I had this same problem on my Model 3. It was caused by my overstuffing the glove box. When the glove box is overstuffed it appears it puts pressure on latches so the latches won't open under electric control. The electric control probably isn't strong enough to retract the latches if the latches are under pressure.

I solved it by manually opening the latches using a hex tool from the side as was shown in the video. It's a little bit of a trick to get the hex tool over the latch before you pull on it. You have to put the hex tool into the hole at an upward angle and then move the hooked end down when it's all the way in and then pull back. That allowed the glovebox to open. (If you really overstuffed it then you may have to also press the glovebox in to reduce the pressure on the latches at the same time as you pull on the latches with the hex tool). Then I removed the item that was put the glove box latches under pressure and it worked fine after that.