Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glovebox Opening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty specific gripe here, unless I’m missing something (which could easily be the case).

I was at a Supercharger yesterday, watching Netflix. Decided to have a snack. Now I keep extra napkins in my glovebox. But when I wanted to open it up, I could find no way except to stop stop the movie, and exit Netflix entirely to get back to the main menu. Voice controls didn’t seem to work for me while watch watching the movie either. This process is a pain since Netflix doesn’t always load quickly etc.. In the end, it took 3-4 minutes to do something that should have taken 5 seconds.

Again, I understand this is a first world problem. Is there a different option to access the glovebox that I’m missing?

Thanks.

Pretty specific gripe here, unless I’m missing something (which could easily be the case).

I was at a Supercharger yesterday, watching Netflix. Decided to have a snack. Now I keep extra napkins in my glovebox. But when I wanted to open it up, I could find no way except to stop stop the movie, and exit Netflix entirely to get back to the main menu. Voice controls didn’t seem to work for me while watch watching the movie either. This process is a pain since Netflix doesn’t always load quickly etc.. In the end, it took 3-4 minutes to do something that should have taken 5 seconds.

Again, I understand this is a first world problem. Is there a different option to access the glovebox that I’m missing?

Thanks.

That's pretty annoying for sure. I've never tried to open the glovebox while watching a movie but if the voice commands don't work and you need to exit all the way out that's a major flaw/oversight IMO.

Thanks.
Funny, I experienced this same issue while my kids were watching YouTube and I needed a napkin. Trying voice commands did nothing for me so I had to resort to ticking them off by exiting the video to open the glovebox. They were devastated.

My complaint is that the globe box is too small to the point of being almost useless. My 2005 Prius even has two, one a small covered shelf, that is perfect for storing things like napkins.

Having said that, I can see the need to keep the globe box locked when in valet mode or when the car is unoccupied. Not allowing the globe box to be unlocked by voice command when the screen is portraying a function that should not be authorized in valet mode is an design failure.

• Disagree
  • Funny
Reactions: Jimt29 and lnsh
I really wish the glovebox had a physical button. I think this might be my biggest complaint with the car. :)
That wouldn't be very difficult to add actually. You just need a simple momentary contact switch and a 12v power source. Run 12v to the switch, then the 12v out of the switch to the existing latch mechanism.
I actually planned on doing that with my MY, but I really have my sites set on the CyberTruck so I don't want to make any non-reversible changes to my MY that would become an issue at trade-in or resale time.

Reactions: jsight