TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Glovebox phantom opening?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SDM3, Jun 13, 2018.

1. SDM3

SDM3 Member

My glovebox randomly opens by itself while driving. Anyone else have this problem? I guess it’s not completely random because it seems to be associated with hitting a bump or quick acceleration. It also seems to happen on hot days. I tried taking everything out of it (it was just owners manual and registration) but that didn’t help. I’m trying to schedule a service visit but thought I’d see if anyone else has solved this.

2. RubberToe

RubberToe Supporting the greater good

Yes, I had this problem. Service call required to replace the glovebox. Maybe just the solenoid catches on the sides.

RT

3. SDM3

SDM3 Member

Thanks.

4. CWFLY

CWFLY Member

#4 CWFLY, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Yesterday, mine started doing the same.
    Close for a second or two, then came open. Somewhat random.

On the left side, you'll see an electric latch. Pull lightly on it... Mine went from 1cm to 2cm protruding when I pulled lightly on it, suggesting to me that it was sticking. I think the switch/solenoid needs to be replaced.

So.........
    Who do I call. I hate to have roadside service come to my house ... not urgent. But I would like to get it fixed in a day or two. Service centers don't seem to be open on the weekends.

5. Nikola M3

Nikola M3 Member

Mine is doing the same, will have service look at it. If i pull on the latch it comes out a bit further than when it returns on it's own.
    My temporary fix is to close the door and push on the left side (where the latch is) for 5-10 seconds. This allows the latch to move a bit further holding the door shut.

6. MosquitoFloss

MosquitoFloss Member

Did you guys ever have it fixed? Mine just started displaying the same behavior.

7. Nikola M3

Nikola M3 Member

mine is going in for service on Thursday, this is one of the things to be addressed. I'll post back once it is solved.

8. MosquitoFloss

MosquitoFloss Member

Mine had stopped phantom opening for quite some time. Then today I had to open it and it will no longer stay closed. Can't get it in for an appointment for a couple of weeks. Guess I'll be driving around in my new car with a duct-taped dash. Sweet.

9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I had this issue and I called service and a Ranger came by to fix it. It took him maybe an hour to replace the latch assembly and to liberate it.