Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glovebox phantom opening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My glovebox randomly opens by itself while driving. Anyone else have this problem? I guess it’s not completely random because it seems to be associated with hitting a bump or quick acceleration. It also seems to happen on hot days. I tried taking everything out of it (it was just owners manual and registration) but that didn’t help. I’m trying to schedule a service visit but thought I’d see if anyone else has solved this.

Yesterday, mine started doing the same.
Close for a second or two, then came open. Somewhat random.

On the left side, you'll see an electric latch. Pull lightly on it... Mine went from 1cm to 2cm protruding when I pulled lightly on it, suggesting to me that it was sticking. I think the switch/solenoid needs to be replaced.

So.........
Who do I call. I hate to have roadside service come to my house ... not urgent. But I would like to get it fixed in a day or two. Service centers don't seem to be open on the weekends.

Last edited:
Mine is doing the same, will have service look at it. If i pull on the latch it comes out a bit further than when it returns on it's own.
My temporary fix is to close the door and push on the left side (where the latch is) for 5-10 seconds. This allows the latch to move a bit further holding the door shut.