TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Glovebox Won’t Open

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by rossfboyle, Oct 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. rossfboyle

rossfboyle M3 SR+ FSD

Hi, friends—

My glovebox won’t open. I’ve looked online for different home remedies and haven’t had any luck. Anyone have this problem before and had success trying something? Would love to know how to fix this without having to bring it in.

(Voice control and homepage button both make the glovebox clicking noise, but it doesn’t release or open)

Thanks!

2. brkaus

brkaus Well-Known Member

Can you lightly pull it when toggling the open button? Perhaps the latch is working but it’s just stuck.

3. Gasaraki

Gasaraki Active Member

Did you try hitting it or saying "put baby oil on my chest"?

4. toolman335

toolman335 Member

This will be my excuse the next time I get pulled over!

• Like x 1
  5. Mark57

Mark57 Member

Agree with @brkaus . You can use 1/2 of a piece of scotch tape to pull with if you can't see a easy way get a hold of it after it clicks. If something inside has shifted, you might also try pushing in gently, before releasing it and pulling back.

6. iamnid

iamnid Member

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  7. rossfboyle

rossfboyle M3 SR+ FSD

We have unfortunately tried pulling it while toggling the open button. No such luck. Next step is to try to open it manually like in that video shows. I hadn’t found that video so hopefully this will work

• Like x 1
  8. AngryCPA

AngryCPA Member

I've had my glovebox replaced twice and adjusted one other time due to this issue. Luckily this is something a ranger can fix so if they are available in your area you won't need to take it in.

Related: I don't keep my registration in the glovebox anymore

• Funny x 1
  9. rossfboyle

rossfboyle M3 SR+ FSD

Just to keep this updated (for now) in case anyone has similar problems in the future and finds this post. We attempted everything suggested in this post, as well as the instructions from you YouTube video. No luck getting it open. I submitted for a service request this morning and received a message within an hour that it qualifies for mobile tech. So now it’s just waiting time until our appointment in 10 days. In the meantime, we’re going to continue trying different things and I’ll be sure to post a success story if we’re able to find a way. Thanks for all the help so far!