Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glovebox won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just picked up my 3 yesterday AM.
I feel like I MUST be missing something, but the glove box won't open. As I recall from the demo car I sat in, you just hit the glove box open button in the UI and it pops down an inch or so and you can open it by hand. Or maybe it falls all the way open.

I can tap the glove box button till the cows come home, and nothing happens.

Didn't see anything in a search.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there a glovebox valet locket or something that I need to look at? Things to try? I didn't see anything in a search. Or maybe my actuator is just broken.

Also, the car came with a "rear trim" piece that is meant to clip on somewhere. It was in the center console with the USB cables. I can't for the life of me figure out where it goes. It looks like it should go below the rear AC vents on a 'normal' car (eg, trim kick piece at the back of the rear console) but there's nothing missing back there.

Sadly, my car got removed from my account last night, so all my phone key stuff is broken, but from looking at my Tesla account, they're still sorting things out and figuring out that the car got delivered to me. I emailed support for help, but I know a few people have had the phone key not work at all until a couple days after delivery, so I'll wait :)

The phone key should still work even though the app isn't. I had the same problem, and when I called they said that was a common issue right after delivery, but my phone was still working as a key.

Glove box definitely sounds like a problem. It should pop all the way open.

Just picked up my 3 yesterday AM.
I feel like I MUST be missing something, but the glove box won't open. As I recall from the demo car I sat in, you just hit the glove box open button in the UI and it pops down an inch or so and you can open it by hand. Or maybe it falls all the way open.

I can tap the glove box button till the cows come home, and nothing happens.

Didn't see anything in a search.

Am I missing something obvious? Is there a glovebox valet locket or something that I need to look at? Things to try? I didn't see anything in a search. Or maybe my actuator is just broken.

Also, the car came with a "rear trim" piece that is meant to clip on somewhere. It was in the center console with the USB cables. I can't for the life of me figure out where it goes. It looks like it should go below the rear AC vents on a 'normal' car (eg, trim kick piece at the back of the rear console) but there's nothing missing back there.

Sadly, my car got removed from my account last night, so all my phone key stuff is broken, but from looking at my Tesla account, they're still sorting things out and figuring out that the car got delivered to me. I emailed support for help, but I know a few people have had the phone key not work at all until a couple days after delivery, so I'll wait :)

I assume that you did not stuff the glovebox full and that the door is now jammed?

Is the trim piece for the bottom of the phone slot in the center console? This slides to the left to remove to allow you to route the phone charging cables...maybe they did not install it.

Step 1. Push glove box button
Step 2. Get out of the car and run around it twice in counterclockwise direction
Step 3. Make like a monkey
Step 4. Go back to step 2

Yes, you have a problem. Drive over to a SC and have them have a look. Maybe it’s just stuck, but it kind of sounds like the latch is defective and isn’t releasing.

This has happened to me a couple of times. I think the stuff I had in the glove box was getting stuck in the locking mechanism. I moved things around, took some things out and its been ok. I was able to get it open by shoving a paint protection film squeegee (you can probably use a plastic ruler or something similar) into the left side gap between the glove box and the car and gently prying it open while pressing the button.

This has happened to me a couple of times. I think the stuff I had in the glove box was getting stuck in the locking mechanism. I moved things around, took some things out and its been ok. I was able to get it open by shoving a paint protection film squeegee (you can probably use a plastic ruler or something similar) into the left side gap between the glove box and the car and gently prying it open while pressing the button.

I would really not recommend prying the door open. You are prying against the stuck latch, which already has pressure from the glovebox being overstuffed. You might actually make the jam worse, and can break the spring-loaded latch mechanism. Might be counterintuitive, but try pressing in on the glovebox door to relieve the pressure and simultaneously tap the release button, and see if that works.

I would really not recommend prying the door open. You are prying against the stuck latch, which already has pressure from the glovebox being overstuffed. You might actually make the jam worse, and can break the spring-loaded latch mechanism. Might be counterintuitive, but try pressing in on the glovebox door to relieve the pressure and simultaneously tap the release button, and see if that works.

Believe me I tried everything, nothing worked. It barely took any force at all once I started to apply prying pressure.

If my registration wasn’t in there maybe I would have waited until my service appointment. Didn’t want to risk getting pulled over and trying to explain to a cop that my glovebox wouldn’t open!

• Funny
Reactions: EV-lutioin
Well, there's always this method, but I don't recommend it ;)
Screen Shot 2018-07-22 at 11.30.18 AM.png

• Funny
Reactions: drawfour