TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Glow on the gauge cluster

Discussion in 'Model S' started by m2140, Jan 8, 2016.

1. m2140

m2140 Member

I got this glow on the gauge cluster last night after charging. Its now cleared but has anyone else seen this before?

Conditions:
    The car was in the middle of charging. I disconnected the plug and went to hop in an noticed that the gauge cluster was dark. Initially hitting the brake did nothing. But after a couple of attempts I was able to hit the brake and put the car in Reverse. Once in reverse the display turned on as you see in the pictures and stayed that way till I parked the car and left it alone for 20 minutes. I attempted to reboot the display but it would not reboot or respond to the steering wheel reboot sequence. I could change displays on the left and right side but I would not get it to reboot.

Upon returning to the car 20 minutes later it had the glow but not as bright. It was not till letting the car sit another 20 minutes that it finally went back to normal.

Anyone seen this before? What is the cause?

IMG_1128.JPG

2. tom66

tom66 Member

This can occur when LCD panels are very cold, but it looks like the exterior temperature is reasonably high. Usually it occurs below 10C on TN-type panels.
    I can't think of any software feature that might cause this.

3. bmah

bmah Obscure Member

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I saw this on Mercury (P85D) in mid-December after my first viewing of SW7. I presumed it wasn't correlated to the viewing.

5. StaceyS

StaceyS Member

Was there a moose in the area the car was uncomfortable about?

6. Electric700

Electric700 Member

That must be it!

7. DJung

DJung Member

It happened to my car as well. It eventually went away after I came back an hour later. It was raining outside but not that cold, no idea what caused it and it never came back.

8. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

bmah is correct. Someone else posted about this same issue and it was determined to be a software problem. Reboot.

9. DJung

DJung Member

curiously enough, a reboot didn't fix the issue. Rebooted both the instrument cluster and the center console display and no dice. I guess I had to do a hard reset and turn off the car completely from the settings menu. Maybe that might have worked.

10. m2140

m2140 Member

Same here. At first the car did not respond to the cluster reboot. When I did get the reboot to work the flow was still present. It was not till the car went to sleep twice before it was completely clear

11. gimmi80

gimmi80 Member

it would seem to be a software glitch on the LCD display activating the LED backlight at to high of a setting.