Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glue collecting direct behind rear door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 7 months old MS Refresh is developing a black outline along the protective tape on the bottom of the rear panel behind the door. It looks like dirt is collecting along the edge of the tape and the glue is attracting the dirt. It is ugly and I could not rub it off. Does anyone have the same problem? Any idea why they tape that section of the rear panel which is not subject to mud kicking forward by the rear tire?

Attachments

• IMG_0431.HEIC.jpeg
    IMG_0431.HEIC.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 107
It is to prevent rock chipping, that part is very prone to it. It is lifting, probably from leg rubbing getting in and out, maybe its placed slightly too far forward. You can cut it without cutting the paint if you have a steady hand and a fresh sharp utility knife, if you are scared to do it maybe find a car wrapper local to you that you can get to do it for a sixpack of cold ones.

Reactions: Pcm888usa
Looks like it might just be a little excess adhesive from the protection film Tesla installs. You might try Goo Gone or similar to remove the adhesive. My guess is once the excess adhesive is removed, it will not return.